Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 3sgte Rwd Transmission?  (Read 9696 times)

Offline Turn N Burn

• View Profile
3sgte Rwd Transmission?
« on: May 08, 2009, 12:53:22 am »
so i have been playing with the idea of a 3sgte swap and am trying to figure out what rwd transmission will fit behind the 3sgte. i have been searching all over the internet and all i have come up with is that toysport.com makes a bell housing that fits the 3sgte and either a T or W transmission. that is what i have gathered anyways from what i have read. i also tried to figure out the transmission code for the 6 speed manual gearbox that comes on the altezza rs200 with no results.

i am going to continue to search the forums but any links or info to speed this process up would be great!

my main goal is to figure out my tranny options and the cost before i get to excited about doing this...

it seems that toyota only has two types of manual transmissions T and W in different variations. tell me if i am off base here.

Yeah I am the guy with the cool mirrors...

Offline 83CelWA

• Senior Master
  • 6M Celipra GT-S
    • View Profile
3sgte Rwd Transmission?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 02:03:25 am »
W58 fits just fine with the proper bell housing.......and that can be found in the states with a little work done to it if you look for it.

And pretty much all the info you should need can be found reading around in here:
http://www.celica-gts.com/forums/index.php...s&highlite=3sge (yay for the search button!)  
1985 Celipra GT-S (driven by Chris):
6M-GE bored .50 over. 210cc injectors from......not a Toyota! Delta 272 re-grind cams. Carter high-flow fuel pump.
Pacesetter header w/custom 2.5" straight exhaust. Open air intake filter w/3" piping to TB. 65mm TB & ported AFM.
4:10 rear w/disk brakes from Supra. BillyM shifter bushing kit. Swapped most interior over to black. T3 camber plates.
935 Budget Coilover kit. KYB AGX struts. Eibach Sport rear supra springs. T3 Needle bearing upper perches.

Offline punch

• View Profile
3sgte Rwd Transmission?
« Reply #2 on: Jun 03, 2009, 06:05:33 am »
Hi , the altezza  6spd is know as a J160, I would not reccomend this box in a turbo , high torque application , in time it will break. Just depends how hard its used.
Punch

Offline 83GTCoupe

• Gold Member
  • Sensei
    • View Profile
3sgte Rwd Transmission?
« Reply #3 on: Jun 03, 2009, 07:47:11 am »
Altezza makes a transmission? I thought they only made crappy taillights, headlights & intakes, that leak like a sieve, for the Fast & Furious crowd of douche bags. :huh:
« Last Edit: Jun 03, 2009, 07:47:56 am by 83GTCoupe »
"There are only three types of people: Those who MAKE it happen, Those who WATCH it happen, and Those who wonder... "What just happened?"TimmyRigTech Snooch to the nooch!

Offline Nukes25

• Bronze Member
  • Senior Master
    • View Profile
3sgte Rwd Transmission?
« Reply #4 on: Jun 03, 2009, 08:20:57 am »
no Matt, the lexus is300 is known as the toyota altezza in japan, and there is one trim of it with the beams 3sge and 6spd manual, afaik :P
Ken Newcombe

1985 Celica GT hatch, 1984 CelicaSupra, 1985 CelicaSupra
~R.I.P's

1984 CelicaSupra
~7MGTE swap
~.57 trim Garret internals rebuilt ct26 turbo
~3" exhaust from turbo back
~300hp?

1994 tyoota hilux surf ssr-x 3l td

2006 Hyundai Tucson 2.0l 5spd
wifes car, rolling on advan sa3r's, pimpification coming..

Offline hybrid_turbo

• Grand Master
  • South Australia
    • View Profile
3sgte Rwd Transmission?
« Reply #5 on: Jun 03, 2009, 08:41:17 am »
toyota altezza had clear/chrome tail lights stock... starting the stupid chrome tail
light craze... hence, altezza lights.

i dont mind it on these cars, but anything else and its shit.
http://www.amayama.com/reviews/photos/toyo...tezza/40_1.jpeg

EDIT) oh yeah, you can get a bellhousing from a SA63 Celica, mates with either
W55/57/58 and it bolts to a 2s-c engine, but also bolts to the 3s ;)

apparently the oil pan fits aswell but im not 100% sure about that, if it did
you wouldnt have to modify one to fit in to your celica, it would just drop in where
it was ment too.
« Last Edit: Jun 03, 2009, 08:44:05 am by hybrid_turbo »

Offline Teranfirbt

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Master
    • View Profile
3sgte Rwd Transmission?
« Reply #6 on: Jun 03, 2009, 04:19:45 pm »
no Matt, the lexus is300 is known as the toyota altezza in japan, and there is one trim of it with the beams 3sge and 6spd manual, afaik :P
It'd be the IS200, but basically yea.

240SX Strut bar write up Here
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~ Albert Einstein

Offline 83GTCoupe

• Gold Member
  • Sensei
    • View Profile
3sgte Rwd Transmission?
« Reply #7 on: Jun 03, 2009, 04:44:07 pm »
It'd be the IS200, but basically yea.
Ah. See, now you're speaking my language. :rofl: I am familiar with that one!
"There are only three types of people: Those who MAKE it happen, Those who WATCH it happen, and Those who wonder... "What just happened?"TimmyRigTech Snooch to the nooch!

Offline 83CelWA

• Senior Master
  • 6M Celipra GT-S
    • View Profile
3sgte Rwd Transmission?
« Reply #8 on: Jun 03, 2009, 04:48:15 pm »
oh yeah, you can get a bellhousing from a SA63 Celica, mates with either
W55/57/58 and it bolts to a 2s-c engine, but also bolts to the 3s ;)

Kinda the same idea with the 80's toyota vans with the 4Y engines in them. It is said that all you need to do is enlarge the starter hole and you are GTG.

6M-GE bored .50 over. 210cc injectors from......not a Toyota! Delta 272 re-grind cams. Carter high-flow fuel pump.
Pacesetter header w/custom 2.5" straight exhaust. Open air intake filter w/3" piping to TB. 65mm TB & ported AFM.
4:10 rear w/disk brakes from Supra. BillyM shifter bushing kit. Swapped most interior over to black. T3 camber plates.
935 Budget Coilover kit. KYB AGX struts. Eibach Sport rear supra springs. T3 Needle bearing upper perches.

Offline kvanderlaag

• Bronze Member
  • Illiterate Member
    • View Profile
3sgte Rwd Transmission?
« Reply #9 on: Jun 03, 2009, 05:56:09 pm »
Altezza makes a transmission? I thought they only made crappy taillights, headlights & intakes, that leak like a sieve, for the Fast & Furious crowd of douche bags. :huh:
:wall:

Pretty much all your options are laid out here. W-series bellhousing from an SA6x Celica is probably your best bet, for ease of acquisition. The 6-speed from an Altezza would be nice, but I know very little about the durability or technical specifications of this transmission, so if someone with any more experience is telling you that it doesn't like torque, you should probably consider that.

The W58, as we all know, likes to strip out third gear for no reason when power is applied to it. It all depends how much power your 3s-gte is going to put out.

I didn't know that little bit of trivia about the Y-series motor having the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the S-series.
1990 Toyota Supra Turbo

Offline 83CelWA

• Senior Master
  • 6M Celipra GT-S
    • View Profile
3sgte Rwd Transmission?
« Reply #10 on: Jun 03, 2009, 08:01:35 pm »
I didn't know that little bit of trivia about the Y-series motor having the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the S-series.
I have a buddy who has been dealing with Toyotas for a really long time and dealing with the corollas for about 12+ years, and he figured it out a few years ago.  

Offline punch

• View Profile
3sgte Rwd Transmission?
« Reply #11 on: Jun 04, 2009, 07:14:32 am »
For your info J160 are made by aisan warner , check their web site .
Same basic trans fitted to Mazda Mx5 , Datsun 200sx and someting else from memory .
If you are after a good close ratio gearbox check out www.Trademe.co.nz ,type w55 close ratio.  remember NZ$ 1 =.65 USD  as at 3 June 2009

Offline buzzbomber85gt

• Senior Master
  • "Yakuza Cruiza"
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=328323
3sgte Rwd Transmission?
« Reply #12 on: Jun 10, 2009, 03:39:06 pm »
here you go.... the stock ra6x motor mounts can be re-drilled to mount the s series but you better off getting sa63 mounts as the angle the motor sits at has to be perfect or you'll have oiling issues. also going to HAVE to get the sa63 oil pan and pickup tube because the is200 and altezza pan won't clear the ra k member. going to have to get a coil pack 3s unless you want to deal with dizzy issues and the bellhousing honestly can be used from a ta63 also or 1g cars. I have both a bellhousing from a ta63 and sa63 and its the same damn thing ;)

----------------------
96 jeep xj 2door daily
87 k5 Blazer rock crawler
99 F150 supercab 4x4. wifes truck
LOOKING FOR 88-89 alltrac!

Offline Celica81GT

• View Profile
3sgte Rwd Transmission?
« Reply #13 on: Jun 11, 2009, 04:07:47 am »
 :blink:

Altezza tranny works pretty decent on turbo setup, over here in Dominican Republic there are tons of altezzas imported and converted into left hand drive. Alot are running on 3s-gte and 2jz-gte engines with no issues whatsoever.
Toyota Celica

Offline buzzbomber85gt

• Senior Master
  • "Yakuza Cruiza"
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=328323
3sgte Rwd Transmission?
« Reply #14 on: Jun 11, 2009, 08:03:04 am »
:blink:

Altezza tranny works pretty decent on turbo setup, over here in Dominican Republic there are tons of altezzas imported and converted into left hand drive. Alot are running on 3s-gte and 2jz-gte engines with no issues whatsoever.
well if was swapped to a 2jz I would assume that it uses the 6speed from the supra which is borg warner....correct me if i'm wrong

----------------------
96 jeep xj 2door daily
87 k5 Blazer rock crawler
99 F150 supercab 4x4. wifes truck
LOOKING FOR 88-89 alltrac!