Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 1985 Celica convertible top will not come down.  (Read 1463 times)

Offline 85Toyota

• View Profile
1985 Celica convertible top will not come down.
« on: Apr 27, 2015, 03:15:08 am »
We have a 1985 Toyota Celica GTS Convertible. It set in the garage this winter with the Top down and we took it out for a spring ride started to rain and we put the Top up no worries. Then went to put the top back down and when you press the button you can hear a latching sound but the top doesn't move. Has anyone worked on tops could you point me in the right direction. I thought about buying a new motor but would like to make sure that it is the motor. Trouble shooting tips would be helpful. Thanks

Offline Dpurser

• View Profile
Re: 1985 Celica convertible top will not come down.
« Reply #1 on: Apr 27, 2015, 06:58:43 pm »
There are mercury switches on the inner two back seats.  Those mercury switches have to be tripped and are done so by the rear seats folding down.  Otherwise I would look into verifying the pump unit has fluid.  The relays near the pump are working, the main relay (above the steering wheel and behind the cluster gauges) works, the neutral start switch is functional (if automatic), convertible top switch is not bad...
81 Celica GT Sunchaser (restoring)
85 GTS Convertible 5sp (restoring)
98 Civic LX 4dr (gone! bhg)
72 Maverick Grabber (restored)
78 Celica GT 5sp coupe (intersection, young girl not yielding ROW, nuf said) RIP
77 Corolla 4dr modified to a 5sp (sold)

Offline 85Vert5SP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 10:49:30 pm »
I had the same issue with mine. The mercury switch on the rear seat on the driver's side would not release the seat.  I simply bypassed the mercury switch on the driver's side rear seat and the top works fine.  You just have to remember to manually fold the back seat down before lowering and raising the top as it will not fold down automatically once the mercury switch is disconnected.  The mercury switch is located behind the side panel just above the rear seat.  Just reach behind the panel where the rear seat folds and pull it out.  It's fairly straight forward once you see it.  Once disconnected, I simply tucked everything, including the mercury switch, back behind the panel.

Offline RA65_Mk3

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2021, 02:27:57 am »
Does anyone have a photo of how the mercury switch looks like .

Offline 1933beer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 08, 2022, 09:22:57 pm »
I dont sorry. The switch in my porsche was small reclangle box and a 1 inch or so flat piece of metal. When the top came down the metal frame would make contact stopping motor.
I know some of the parts used in the system are used on several convertibles. The ASC did the tops for both toyota and porsche.  I have only ever had to put fluid in my celica once as the top was going down slow. Hope this helps a little.

cognitive