Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: SirDan's 4runner Build thread!  (Read 20729 times)

Offline sirdan

• Senior Master
    • View Profile
Re: SirDan's 4runner Build thread!
« Reply #465 on: May 02, 2022, 01:29:25 am »
I decided to jump in head first and cover the welds and shit with fiberglass filer like I have wanted to for a while to seal any missed holes. Plus a lot of it is low/uneven so It is the start of evening it all out. One day ill go back and do some proper body work over everything. For now the plan is slather it up with fiberglass filler. Sand it a little bit smoothish more or less just to knock down any bits of fiberglass sticking up weird and stuff, then cover with rattle can primer and paint like the other side as a rust prevention measure untill I can "One day" come back and do some body work and make it pretty. I got lucky and got 2 good quality grinder wire wheels for free from work which made stripping off the primer so much easier than I thought it would be.

I got one load of filler on right before it got dark

I then decided fuck it I'm going to set up a light and at least finish covering it with filler.

As AVE would say I do my best work in the dark. Of course it rained all day today and this work is stinky and messy so I have to do it outside. Anyway I still need to seam seal and undercoat in the wheel well and sand a little then primer/paint. Then I can make rear fender flares out of some garden edging I found in the garbage.
1988 4runner

Offline danf

• Senior Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: May 02, 2022, 02:41:47 am »
It's too bad they don't make repair panels for our old 'yotas. The only good thing is they don't have like 50 compound curves, so bending a custom one isn't too bad with some cheater tools like pipes.
SELECT celica FROM toyota WHERE year<=1985;

1985 GT-S
-Rebuilt engine: bored .020 over, oversize valves, new cam
-Thorley header w/heated O2 sensor at collector & all new exhaust
-Impact6 strut bar
-3.9LSD rearend, which is now slipping
-Lots of bodywork and new paint!
-New cd player to cover up all those squeaks and rattles
-JK short-throw shifter

Offline sirdan

• Senior Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: May 09, 2022, 02:35:55 am »
Ugh, went out this weekend to try and just knock down the fiberglass a little and its still soft in spots and gummy tacky everywhere. I think part of my problem is I got the long hair fiberglass filler and it was just a pain to mix and work with. The hardener I had also seems weird its like very gritty, I feel like usually its thick but wet this is like dry, gritty and like a thick paste. So I think one of the two caused the epic fail. Hopefully the wire wheel will knock it off easily. I was thinking maybe id just get normal bondo instead of messing with the fiberglass stuff. I think its going to be sunny all week so I might try and do it during the week to get it done. Ill try and take one good thing away from this bad experience and say that my application looked pretty good considering the difficulties working with the long hair fiberglass gave me. So when I do it all again it should look halfway decent.
1988 4runner

Offline danf

• Senior Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: May 09, 2022, 03:01:24 am »
That sucks. Both the resin and hardener do have a shelf life and I remember it not being that long.
SELECT celica FROM toyota WHERE year<=1985;

1985 GT-S
-Rebuilt engine: bored .020 over, oversize valves, new cam
-Thorley header w/heated O2 sensor at collector & all new exhaust
-Impact6 strut bar
-3.9LSD rearend, which is now slipping
-Lots of bodywork and new paint!
-New cd player to cover up all those squeaks and rattles
-JK short-throw shifter