Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hey how you doing....greetings from No Cal San Francisco  (Read 1044 times)

Offline Granprixfan

• View Profile
Hi Guys (& ladies)
Having lurked around here for some time I think it's about time we meet.
Let me introduce myself and my 1984 Celica GTS.
I'm Carlos This was my first new car so yes Original Owner...drove it off The lot here in SF back in the day...I would have got the Supra but insurance was $$$ , but no regrets.
The odometer just clicked over to 100K, motor rebuilt/freshened up at 87K rings/Pistons/bearings/ect, so recently I've put a lot of work and time into her... new brakes/pads/disks, new injectors/fuel filter/fuel pump/ect, new cap/rotor/plugs/wires, new radiator/water pump/thermostat/hoses/belts, new tires, new carpet, that's all I can think of now.
I'm in the process of making some upgrades and fixing minor issues that most of you probably have
Therefore...
I'll post some questions as she's in need of some parts and love and I need to gain some knowledge
Thanks
84 GTS Hatchback
original owner
Kaminari Body Kit with a One Off 4-stage paint
Like most of us it's another never ending project

Offline swan song

• Forum Master
  • Enter Final Phase
    • View Profile
Re: Hey how you doing....greetings from No Cal San Francisco
« Reply #1 on: Jun 17, 2017, 05:10:32 am »
You rebuilt the 22re at 87k? That engine was just getting started man.
1985 celica GT , 191k.
Want a low budget LSD? http://www.celica-gts.com/forums/index.php?topic=29189.0

***COMPLETED!***1uzfe swap! Instant NA 250hp/260tq, For less than $1,500!

Offline twotone_ra64

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Master
  • BACC Founder, Mechanical Design Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 17, 2017, 05:45:13 am »
Welcome Carlos!! Sounds like you've done some pretty major work to your Celi to keep her in top shape! :laugh: Nice! Got any pics you can share? Posting with imgur is the best way to do so on this forum IMO.

Also, I'm super stoked to see another Bay Area-based Celica owner :) I'm the founder of the local classic Celica group in the Bay, you should definitely join the Facebook group as I will be soon posting details of the upcoming meetup next month. I'll also post it here in the forum "Events" section so you don't miss it.
Celica the '84 Two-tone RA64 - Phase 2 In Progress! (159k); 1UZ-FE V8 Swap, W58 5-speed swap, Koni x Swift x T3 suspension, 6G Celica seat belts, TRD 2-way LSD, Corolla tape deck
Mia the '91 Miata - Revived Twice! (264k); BP-5A 1.8L swap, an NB in NA clothes
Lude the '95 Prelude SR/b] - The VTEC Daily (238k)
Lilith the '94 Legend GS - Blown HG (152k)

Offline swan song

• Forum Master
  • Enter Final Phase
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 17, 2017, 02:46:04 pm »
Actually, Photobucket is working again.
1985 celica GT , 191k.

Offline nick83

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 17, 2017, 07:15:31 pm »
Welcome to the forum and it is nice to know of another Celica owner in the bay area. I am in Santa Clara and have a 83 gts hatchback. If it works out you should try to attend the Blackhawk Car Museum Coffee and Cars July 2 in Danville.  Twotone_Ra64, (Alex)  and one other owner and I went last month and had the only Celicas at the event. Would be nice to meet up and cruise into the coffee and cars with 4 Celicas. Twotone_Ra64 will probably set something up for that Sunday.

Offline ra65gts

• Excess in moderation.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 18, 2017, 08:59:31 pm »
Welcome.  Planning to take a trip out to the bay area with my RA65 Dragon.  It would be cool to meet with a few of you in that area.

Silver 1985 Celica GT-S 5 speed modified with;
- 1UZ-FE from a 1992 Lexus SC400
- Xcessive Manufacturing W58 adapter and engine mounts
- 1994 Lexus LS400 bellhousing
- ACT stage 2 3S clutch
- lightweight (9lb) custom cut flywheel
- Front AE86 25mm anti-swaybar
- Rear Addco 20mm anti-swaybar
- Cusco strut bar
- Rear TSC rear suspension brace

White 1985 Celica GT-S 5 speed
Red 1985 Celica GT-S 5 speed

Offline twotone_ra64

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Master
  • BACC Founder, Mechanical Design Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 18, 2017, 09:44:06 pm »
Welcome.  Planning to take a trip out to the bay area with my RA65 Dragon.  It would be cool to meet with a few of you in that area.

!!! When are you coming up here, Frank? What's your schedule like? I think I'm going to have my next BACC meet on Saturday, July 1st at Quickly in Redwood City. Would you be able to make it for that?
Celica the '84 Two-tone RA64 - Phase 2 In Progress! (159k); 1UZ-FE V8 Swap, W58 5-speed swap, Koni x Swift x T3 suspension, 6G Celica seat belts, TRD 2-way LSD, Corolla tape deck
Mia the '91 Miata - Revived Twice! (264k); BP-5A 1.8L swap, an NB in NA clothes
Lude the '95 Prelude SR/b] - The VTEC Daily (238k)
Lilith the '94 Legend GS - Blown HG (152k)

Offline swan song

• Forum Master
  • Enter Final Phase
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 19, 2017, 03:52:17 am »

We need more videos of your dragon going flat out. Man, if you don't, I will have to!
1985 celica GT , 191k.

Offline Granprixfan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 22, 2017, 02:46:19 am »
You rebuilt the 22re at 87k? That engine was just getting started man.
Yep I know...but with best friend working as a mechanic at the dealer and the 10 yr extended warranty on its final days...well you really can't blame me for upgrading to larger Pistons on their nickel

Welcome to the forum and it is nice to know of another Celica owner in the bay area. I am in Santa Clara and have a 83 gts hatchback. If it works out you should try to attend the Blackhawk Car Museum Coffee and Cars July 2 in Danville.  Twotone_Ra64, (Alex)  and one other owner and I went last month and had the only Celicas at the event. Would be nice to meet up and cruise into the coffee and cars with 4 Celicas. Twotone_Ra64 will probably set something up for that Sunday.
Hey Nick good to "meet" ya I too am stoked to find other Bay Area Celicas I'm sure we'll meet
July 2nd I'll probably be at the Hollister Rally (Harley Rally ...not Stugis but local and a good party) but I'm up for the meet up Saturday the 1st in Redwood City two tone_RA64

...sounds cool I'll buy the first round...I'd like to meet and check out the Dragon

https://imgur.com/user/granprixfan
« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2017, 05:37:38 am by Granprixfan »
84 GTS Hatchback
original owner

Offline Sigma Projects

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • http://www.SigmaProjects.org
« Reply #9 on: Jun 22, 2017, 07:02:28 am »
Wait, you're the original owner and only have over 100K on it? I don't think I've owned a Celica with less than 150K on it  :heh: Welcome and glad you decided to join us on the forums.
1984 Celica GT Coupe    sold and missed it
1983 Celica GT Coupe    attacked... will miss it (RIP) JY
1982 Celica GT Liftback  sold and won't miss it, lol
1985 Celica GT Coupe    new love =P

2000 Honda Insight Daily Beater
1987 MR2 now mine because brother in law got shit from the father in law :heh:
My Instagram
My Website

Offline Granprixfan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 02, 2017, 02:00:46 pm »
Wait, you're the original owner and only have over 100K on it? I don't think I've owned a Celica with less than 150K on it  :heh: Welcome and glad you decided to join us on the forums.
Yep I know it may sound nice that the mileage is low but it has its issues...having sat in the garage with little to no use for some years ...well that brings its own problems (like radiator passiges gunned up and water pump fins corroded leading to leaks
Here's my story  :biggrin:
The miles stayed down from several factors...things like FT use of a company car, ten years at a company who's offices were right in front of the subway station & home is a ten minute walk to subway, in 94 I picked up a 4-Runner for cheap (that I ended putting 457k miles on it) that's when I got engine freshen up and got it into the body shop for the full strip down and custom re-spray, it stayed there about a year so no miles in 94-95

95-96 I lost interest after damaging the front air dam. A fiberglass after market piece. I was playing cards with the fellas and my buddie Kieth and I were like "Reno sounds good" as the other guys were calling it a night..1030 PM Friday payday, leave the city to drive 3 hours to Reno (we were moving a good clip). Anyway hwy 80 coming down off Donner Summit two lane mountain road on a sweeping right hander there was a F...kn single cone, the big ones, no one panicked simply hit it and kept driving. Not a single other cone nor byway work in the area.  Spent the rest of the weekend trying to get enough $ to fix the damage. Oh well shit happens
It wasn't that bad just disheartening As I only had it a short time back from the body shop and a very expensive paint job!!!!
Never fixed it but still drove it and still do. Besides its a good story no one hurt just a little fiberglass that's behind the license plate, fuck it their rest or the car in and out was near perfect
So
Around Y2K my brother gave me his car or rather gave me a money pit...that I should have just traded for an SC400 for a V8 swap. but it was a nice car
I put the Celica in a three car garage I built at my moms (big mistake storing there but Live and learn). Took the car out of Moms after sisiter moved back with her and filled the two car section and I opened the third bay door to find the car buried under even more crap (there was plenty of room in the really deep two car section just too lazy to stack and organize her shit.
So there's the car with the car cover on under a lot of s... That shit ended up at donation. Took the car to my home found a buch of scratches  spent a lot of time buffing one square foot at a time. The car was prestine besides the air dam at that time. Should have traded Vince's car for the SC400 Anyway Got it dialed as I always do with my changed stereo and alarms a couple of times and been driving it a a second car occasionally for most of its life really

« Last Edit: Jul 02, 2017, 02:36:06 pm by Granprixfan »
84 GTS Hatchback
original owner

Offline Granprixfan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 02, 2017, 02:58:59 pm »
Now I'm consolidating my life and getting rid of clutter around the house keeping only things that have value and this car has a lot of history for me
Many good times...yea even the Reno trip :laugh:

I have three things I need to do to the car right now

1-fix minor lighting issues; yellow side markers just replaced not lighting up came with new bulbs, driver side turn lens mounting tabs broke and its wobbly, and hair line crack in drivers side tail lens from sisters Crap not bad but bad memory there (see prior post)

2-replace shocks for factory height need to do ASAP they not too bad but need to make a road trip so I can get number three done.

3-re-upholstery I rent a small warehouse to an upoholster so I'm doing it up and giving him a break on rent kind of lucky there

I'll post questions, progress or maybe a build "like" thread

After all this is the age of
"if a tree falls down in woods...and not posted on YouTube did it really happen?"  :heh:

84 GTS Hatchback
original owner

Offline Sigma Projects

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • http://www.SigmaProjects.org
« Reply #12 on: Jul 03, 2017, 02:14:52 am »
Sounds like it had an interesting time :heh: Glad to hear it's back on the road again.
1984 Celica GT Coupe    sold and missed it
1983 Celica GT Coupe    attacked... will miss it (RIP) JY
1982 Celica GT Liftback  sold and won't miss it, lol
1985 Celica GT Coupe    new love =P

2000 Honda Insight Daily Beater
1987 MR2 now mine because brother in law got shit from the father in law :heh:
My Instagram
My Website

cognitive