Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Aftermarket radio gripes and a really weird workaround  (Read 785 times)

Offline KingKazma

• A young mechanic in Austin, TX
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
Aftermarket radio gripes and a really weird workaround
« on: Jan 19, 2018, 06:34:41 am »
So i would imagine most folks arent running the original stereos in their cars on here (car stereos have a surprisingly short lifespan!) but has anyone else had the realization most newer aftermarket head units dont look quite right on older cars?  its something that's bugged me for a looooooong time, since its frustrating to have a radio that sticks out so much...

Mine by far isn't that bad in the spectrum of really bright/flashy aftermarket head units, but it kills me every time i notice the bright blue color contrast against all the green gauges, only to realize its nearly impossible to find aftermarket radios that have a green backlight anymore new... until today

turns out the best place to find head units that aren't super flashy/come in weird colors is the marine audio segment, and this pyle unit looks perfect for a somewhat period looking replacement thats green backlit, and im kinda over the moon that someone makes something like this still.  I dunno, maybe i'm crazy for looking for a less flashy head-unit; what's the forum's opinion on it? Am I nuts, or is this something anyone else has been frustrated by?
Car List:
86 Supra P-Type "Holy Grail" Made it to the Car guys in the sky
89 AW11 MR2 "The Never-Ending Project"   Still Ongoing
85 Celica GT "The Daily"   Daily Driven and always being upgraded
  • New 22RE from Oregon Engine Builders, with ported head and RV1 cam
  • Dobinson lowering springs and KYB AGX adjustable struts on all corners
  • 215/50r14 BFG Radial T/A tires wrapping Supra P-Types on all corners

Offline swan song

• Forum Master
  • Enter Final Phase
    • View Profile
Re: Aftermarket radio gripes and a really weird workaround
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2018, 03:58:28 pm »
I’ve often wondered why stereo folks haven’t made a “one size fits all” unit that has a hundred different face plates. The you could cater to the 50’s-90’s. And use some of the most popular designs. They could even do some steam punk or graffiti themes. What I wouldn’t give to own a 3D printer with this idea!
1985 celica GT , 191k.
Want a low budget LSD? http://www.celica-gts.com/forums/index.php?topic=29189.0

***COMPLETED!***1uzfe swap! Instant NA 250hp/260tq, For less than $1,500!

Offline sirdan

• Senior Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2018, 12:04:50 am »
I’ve often wondered why stereo folks haven’t made a “one size fits all” unit that has a hundred different face plates. The you could cater to the 50’s-90’s. And use some of the most popular designs. They could even do some steam punk or graffiti themes. What I wouldn’t give to own a 3D printer with this idea!

that is smart as hell..... You could maybe even do classic car shit with knobs too. We need to like make this happen.
1988 4runner

Offline swan song

• Forum Master
  • Enter Final Phase
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2018, 03:07:00 am »
that is smart as hell..... You could maybe even do classic car shit with knobs too. We need to like make this happen.
Imagine emulating the face plate of the Japanese sound equipment we never got. Best part is, with a flip down face plate you could hide the interface where the cassette or 8 track would go, the usb outlets, aux in, and any other crap that wouldn’t match the era you’re going for. Anyone got a 3D printer?
1985 celica GT , 191k.

Offline swan song

• Forum Master
  • Enter Final Phase
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2018, 03:31:21 am »
It’s looking like pioneer had some real vintage cassette decks.
1985 celica GT , 191k.