Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello everyone. Railanet is back and working on a 1UZ swap  (Read 1378 times)

Offline Railanet

• View Profile
    • http://www.raila.net
I have had some MAJOR life changes since I was last on in 2008. That aside, I still have my 85 GTS Vert and my 85 GTS liftback. I hope to get my website back online soon to continue the documentation of both of these cars.
I have started with doing a 1UZ swap on the liftback. I could sure use some advice from those who have done this to the RA65 chassis. I have seen posts of the 85 supras done like this but the RA65 is not the same.
I have already started with a bell housing from KSRacing and motor mounts and brackets from Xsessive and I have done my first dry fit.
Tell me what you think so far.
85 Celica GTS liftback w 1UZ in progress
85 Celica GTS convertible waiting in the wings
Both getting full rotisserie restores.

Offline Sigma Projects

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • http://www.SigmaProjects.org
Re: Hello everyone. Railanet is back and working on a 1UZ swap
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30, 2018, 05:50:01 am »
Nice, welcome back!
1984 Celica GT Coupe    sold and missed it
1983 Celica GT Coupe    attacked... will miss it (RIP) JY
1982 Celica GT Liftback  sold and won't miss it, lol
1985 Celica GT Coupe    new love =P

2000 Honda Insight Daily Beater
1987 MR2 now mine because brother in law got shit from the father in law :heh:
My Instagram
My Website

Offline twotone_ra64

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Master
  • BACC Founder, Mechanical Design Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2018, 03:28:18 pm »
Welcome back!! Looking forward to seeing the progress.
'84 Celica GT - Phase 2 In Progress! (159k); W58 5-speed swap, Koni x Swift x T3 suspension, 22R-E delete, TRD 2-way LSD, Konig Rewind 15x7 +0mm, zenki taillights, '98 Camry cassette player for maximum a e s t h e t i c

'91 Miata - Daily/Track (235k); the driver's perfect roadster; BP-5A 1.8L swap, NB Koni x Ground Control coilovers, GWR endlinks, FM sway bars, HD Deuce rollbar

Offline Railanet

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 31, 2018, 01:48:34 am »
Today was cleaning day. I got the rear core suspension cleaned up and checked out. The bushings are still in good enough shape to use in this car for getting the car running. Thank goodness for the cart I built to use as a way to hold the heavy parts up while I lower the car down onto the parts.
My goal on this project is to get the car running well enough with the 1UZ to drive around the block a few times to test everything out. Once that is a success, I am taking the car back apart to have it painted inside and out. The car has already been completely stripped, blasted and reprimered. This is a test of the tools, vendors, and me to get repaired to do a show restore of the 85 Celica GTS Convertible. If the 1UZ swap goes well, the Vert might get one also.

Offline swan song

• Forum Master
  • Enter Final Phase
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 31, 2018, 02:05:35 am »
Just finished mine. I recommend spacing the subframe down 3/4”-1”. Otherwise you will always be wondering about  ose cables and fuel lines and brake lines that run along the top of the trans tunnel. Pull also want it so you can actually do a clutch job without lowering the entire subframe. Second, I’m currently battling how to do a front sway bar. The factory may not work. I’ve spaced it down 2” and that caused the bar ends to be turned up. That puts the endlinks at extreme angle. So now wtf? I might get in touch with Rwdfreak and see if he can get me the pics of his ae86 bar. Also, while the engine is out, clean the IACV. That thing is a bitch to get to and mine needs cleaned now that the engine is in. If you don’t already have it, get, read, and understand Nigel Wade’s book “this is how you wire up a 1uzfe engine”. It’s free. Just search google.
Any questions- ask me. I’m here daily.
1985 celica GT , 191k.
Want a low budget LSD? http://www.celica-gts.com/forums/index.php?topic=29189.0

***COMPLETED!***1uzfe swap! Instant NA 250hp/260tq, For less than $1,500!

Offline Railanet

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 31, 2018, 03:59:50 am »
Thanks for the advice swan song. I am not to worried about having to remove the motor and tranny for clutch work or major work on the motor. That is why I built my rotisserie. One of the best things I noticed is that the motor went in with room to spare between the frame rails from the bottom. I will be looking into the info you suggested on the net. Wiring is not something I’m to worried about. I have both factory service manuals and I’m an control systems engineer. I saw someone mention an 80 model camero rear sway bar as a solution to the front sway bar problem on the GTS. I don’t have one to look at so I don’t know if it really will work. I will be watching for your solution.

Offline swan song

• Forum Master
  • Enter Final Phase
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 31, 2018, 08:04:59 pm »
Camaro bar won’t work. It doesn’t clear the wide oil pan. Supposedly Frank (aka 85gts) used the ae86 sway bar, because it has a cut out to go around the oil pan. I’ve messaged frank. Now awaiting his reply. If it works, I will be posting pics and a how to in my 1uz saga thread.

Being an engineer, you’ll understand what I’m about to tell you better (I’m a technician). There is a relay wiring diagram out there that makes for a stand alone system to operate the fuel pump, starter, and sensor systems. But... there is a bad diagram and a correct diagram.

First, the WRONG diagram: http://www.lextreme.com/article/1UZSingleSpeedFuelpump.jpg

And now the correct one:
The main difference is that the bad diagram tells you to wire FP (Fuel Pump) to activate the fuel pump relay. This is totally incorrect and won’t work. FP sends a pulsed signal to the multi speed fuel pump control board on the ls400.
The correct diagram has it right. MREL is what activates the pump and sends a constant 12vdc signal to a single speed pump.
1985 celica GT , 191k.

Offline ozzie

• Senior Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 01, 2018, 09:16:32 pm »
Did you buy or build that rotisserie? I want one just like it, my chassis needs some serious rust repair, and I'd like to just sandblast the whole shell.
'84 Celica GT - 261k mi

Offline swan song

• Forum Master
  • Enter Final Phase
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 02, 2018, 01:09:40 am »
Did you buy or build that rotisserie? I want one just like it, my chassis needs some serious rust repair, and I'd like to just sandblast the whole shell.
Hey, when did you make mod status?!?! Lol. Oh great, more authority I gotta toe the line with!  :laugh:
1985 celica GT , 191k.

Offline ozzie

• Senior Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 02, 2018, 02:00:02 am »
It's Steven's April Fool's joke, we're all mods! Try the new "Delete thread" button up at the top ;)
'84 Celica GT - 261k mi

Offline swan song

• Forum Master
  • Enter Final Phase
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 02, 2018, 02:26:25 am »
Ha! That dude gets me every year!
1985 celica GT , 191k.

Offline Railanet

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 02, 2018, 03:26:06 am »
Thanks swan song for the heads up on the fuel pump circuit. I was fortunate enough to pull all of the electrical system out of the doner LS400 so I have all the plugs and relays I need to merge into the original GTS electrical system. I did see that the original LS400 fuel pump was 2 speed and knew that I would have to deal with a bit of retire. It helps having both full service manuals with full electrical schematics.

Ozzie, I designed and built both the rotisserie and the engine cart to allow for just what you are talking about doing. I originally built it for the full restoration of my 85 GTS Convertible. I have used it for way more than I thought I would. It was well worth the time to build.

Offline Railanet

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 04, 2018, 04:27:36 am »
Ok, today I ordered the 17lb 1UZ flywheel from www.1UZswapkit.com today. I decided on that one because the ring gear is supposed to be set up right on it and the clutch options were better. Anyone got a good value clutch and pressure plate suggestion? I have the W58 tranny that I have put new bearings and synchros in.
I also bought a rebuilt rack and pinion for the front today. Has anyone heard about the AE86 sway bar yet? Will it work on the RA65 chassis? What do I order to get one if it works.
I am also waiting on the redesigned motor brackets from Xcessive MFG to be finished and shipped so I can do a better fit.
What has been the best exhaust manifold solution so far?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far.

Offline swan song

• Forum Master
  • Enter Final Phase
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 04, 2018, 03:01:58 pm »
I used a 5sfe flywheel from exedy and had xcessive do their  magic on the holes. Then I grabbed a stage 2 5sfe pressure plate and an uprated 22re 8 & 7/8ths disc from LCE. It was the cheapest route and was rated for the power. It’s also easily found parts. My flywheel is factory weighted so driving is a breeze.
1985 celica GT , 191k.

Offline Railanet

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 04, 2018, 06:18:44 pm »
So, swan song, I was reading through a few threads last night and noticed that I am not the only one to have issues with the motor mount brackets from Xcessive. They also sent me brackets that were symmetrical and my motor mounts would not bolt up to the brackets because the bolt hit between the end of the bracket and the slot in the bracket. They told me they were given information on a RA64 chassis and that the RA65 chassis must be different. I thought they were the same as far as where the front crossmember was. I see that others have been told that they were sent the wrong brackets. They told me to send them pictures and measurements and they would redesign and rebuild the bracket. I’m feeling like I’m getting told what I want to hear and not the truth. It has been almost two weeks since I got my brackets. They seem to be real slow to respond as well. Anything I should know about them? Any tricks to get a better communications from them? I’m real easy to get along with as long as someone tells me the truth.
I also see possible issues with ordering the flywheel from www.toyotaV8.com. Any ideas there?

cognitive