Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello everyone. Railanet is back and working on a 1UZ swap  (Read 1377 times)

Offline Sigma Projects

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • http://www.SigmaProjects.org
Re: Hello everyone. Railanet is back and working on a 1UZ swap
« Reply #15 on: Apr 04, 2018, 06:21:51 pm »
yea no difference between RA64 and RA65 engine mounts.
1984 Celica GT Coupe    sold and missed it
1983 Celica GT Coupe    attacked... will miss it (RIP) JY
1982 Celica GT Liftback  sold and won't miss it, lol
1985 Celica GT Coupe    new love =P

2000 Honda Insight Daily Beater
1987 MR2 now mine because brother in law got shit from the father in law :heh:
My Instagram
My Website

Offline swan song

• Forum Master
  • Enter Final Phase
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 04, 2018, 09:21:29 pm »
So, swan song, I was reading through a few threads last night and noticed that I am not the only one to have issues with the motor mount brackets from Xcessive. They also sent me brackets that were symmetrical and my motor mounts would not bolt up to the brackets because the bolt hit between the end of the bracket and the slot in the bracket. They told me they were given information on a RA64 chassis and that the RA65 chassis must be different. I thought they were the same as far as where the front crossmember was. I see that others have been told that they were sent the wrong brackets. They told me to send them pictures and measurements and they would redesign and rebuild the bracket. I’m feeling like I’m getting told what I want to hear and not the truth. It has been almost two weeks since I got my brackets. They seem to be real slow to respond as well. Anything I should know about them? Any tricks to get a better communications from them? I’m real easy to get along with as long as someone tells me the truth.
I also see possible issues with ordering the flywheel from www.toyotaV8.com. Any ideas there?
Sad to say, my build took a 7 month hiatus Because they decided to drag ass on getting me the redesigned a motor mounts. What I later found out is what they had sent me originally for a motor mount brackets was for the second GEN supra. They supposedly re-designed these and shipped me back mine and several other people the correct Celica brackets. Did you have a look in my thread that has all the bracket info and pictures?
1985 celica GT , 191k.
Want a low budget LSD? http://www.celica-gts.com/forums/index.php?topic=29189.0

***COMPLETED!***1uzfe swap! Instant NA 250hp/260tq, For less than $1,500!

Offline Railanet

• View Profile
    • http://www.raila.net
« Reply #17 on: Apr 30, 2018, 11:35:13 pm »
So swan song, I finally got fed up with Xcessive Mfg. I gave them 3 choices, send me the correct brackets, send me a refund, or I get legal action started. They are sending me a shipping label so I can send the wrong brackets back for a refund. They also had the balls to say that I was wrong in the research that I provided them and that they, in no way misrepresented the product. The bracket is clearly built for a MA6x chassis with the 1UZ but is advertised as an RA6x chassis bracket. I know it won’t do much good to file a claim with the Oregon DOJ but how do we prevent someone else from having their build delayed by this obvious misrepresentation. They lied to me about the status and they had very poor customer service. I have already started building my own brackets and I hope to have the motor mounted soon. I wish I had gone that route first.
Hope to have pictures soon to post here.
85 Celica GTS liftback w 1UZ in progress
85 Celica GTS convertible waiting in the wings
Both getting full rotisserie restores.

Offline swan song

• Forum Master
  • Enter Final Phase
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2018, 02:51:17 am »
The only thing we can do is share our experience. The main thing to remember, is that a business like Xcessive is two things, a fabrication shop, and a business. That means there needs to be an owner with BOTH sides of that experience. A good fab guy will have a lot of work and crap business savvy. (Which is what Xcessive seems to be), or a good business man that hires fabricators, but has no idea what the fab side is. The rarely seen third type is a fabrication guy that also has business skills.

That said, Xcessive’s stuff is top notch. The quality can’t be beat. They build good ish, they will EVENTUALLY make it right. But the business man would understand customer satisfaction, and be pronto on the delivery.

While I could’ve had mounts made, the redesigned mounts I was sent were awesome. They actually sourced a celica, a motor, a transmission, and then fab’d again. Granted the entire 7 months were a literal, DAILY email from me, after three months of that, I resorted to DAILY phone calls. I would get all kinds of different people answering the phone. Guy, Rich, some girl, another dude.

When they eventually sent my brackets to me, there was a sarcastic note on the instructions that said “Super Special Ian Fairbanks Edition”. I almost drove 2hrs to Portland to pay a “Super Special” visit.

One where I go to “super special” prison.

I decided to sleep on it.
1985 celica GT , 191k.

Offline Railanet

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2018, 03:21:29 am »
Swan song, I think the thing that makes me angry is that they have seen that their brackets are wrong and they have designed the right ones and yet they continue to get it wrong. I saw the pictures of the brackets they sent you and they are exactly the ones they sent me. I tried early on to tell them that I have a celica GTS “RA65” and not a Celica Supra “MA64”. I emailed the facts to them and they are still arrogant enough to say that our chassis is special! They still continue to advertise the same bracket we both got as RA6x brackets but they are MA64 brackets. Those of us that are doing the 1UZ in a ST, GT, or GTS are going to get the wrong brackets. I just don’t want anyone else to be put through the crap that these arrogant people put us through. I attached the passenger side bracket I made this weekend. I still have to assemble the driver side bracket. I also found out that their bracket raises the 1UZ by 1/8” more than it needs to be. I have mine set correctly so that the rotation of the motor will not rub the floor or the steering rack. I will keep you up to date as I go.

Offline swan song

• Forum Master
  • Enter Final Phase
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2018, 03:58:23 am »
Them brackets look funky AF. The updated brackets they made for me positioned the engine height ok, but it still left the bellhousing too high for my taste. I didn’t want the bellhousing to smash a brake or fuel line, so I spaced my subframe down 3/4”. Plenty of room now.
1985 celica GT , 191k.

Offline Railanet

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2018, 04:12:30 pm »
So I met the milestone of getting the motor mounted to the car. It is ashame that Xcessive Mfg treats their customers the way they do. I did I 5 days, working a full time job, what Xcessive Mfg could not do in 6 weeks. Yes I know that my brackets are not as pretty as theirs and they are made from a heavier steel but they work, they are easy to install, and the motor has good clearances all the way around. Now that is done......
I’m needing advice on the ECU. My ECU’s condition is unknown so I decided it would be worth just having it rebuilt or finding a rebuilt ECU. I’m not ready to do anything fancy so the factory ECU will work fine. The problem I have is that the part number for my ECU is 89661-50010 and no one has that or can get it. I don’t need the Trac control so what ECU can I use for this 91 Lexus LS400 1UZ-FE. Is there any real difference that would prevent me from just ordering what I can get for that year model 1UZ?

Offline swan song

• Forum Master
  • Enter Final Phase
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2018, 07:28:11 pm »
The 1uz ecus have all the same wires as the rest (within the same phase. Ex:phase 1,2,&3 are all different, but a phase 1 will match a phase 1) the down side is the plugs are different on almost every year and every model. So you could graft a 1993 Ls400 loom to a 1993 sc400 Ecu, but you’d have to chop the wires and painstakingly graft every single wire to the correct location on the new sc400 Ecu plugs.

And as far as the caps go, http://www.driftmotion.com/1UZ-ECU-Cap-Service-p/dm1676.htm . It’s cheap insurance. It’s $89 bucks plus shipping. Before you send it in though, open the top of your Ecu and have a look. If your caps have leaked and the board looks like this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cxquHSerLPw
Then find new Ecu.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 07:56:55 pm by swan song »
1985 celica GT , 191k.

Offline Railanet

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jul 27, 2018, 12:00:18 am »
Sorry everyone. It’s been a while since I last posted. The project has been delayed because I have had to work in Houston for the last 3 months. I am in the process of assembling the motor so that I will have a good idea of how the headers will need to be built. Has anyone found some headers yet that are built for this swap? I have motor to the point where I am now repairing the wiring and making a few changes to the electrical system to fit the celica better.

Offline Railanet

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Apr 01, 2020, 08:38:43 am »
Hello All:
Once Again Life has thrown the monkey wrench in the works. My new wife and I bought a second home that had a very big metal building in the back. I have been in the process of updating the home and building a full shop in the metal building. I will sone start back on the 85 GTS 1UZ project. I did get my website hosted and updated. Goto www.rayscelica.com which has a link to the V8 project. I hope to be posting regularly again.

Offline firstgenrex

• PDX - Second times a charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Apr 01, 2020, 10:58:41 pm »
Thank you for beautifully modifying, fixing 3rd gen celica. Gives me hope. And do wish I could get beck my 84 gts coupe. Keep up the amazing work and keeping us inspired.
'84 Celica GT-S Coupe 5-spd (white) 170k 3rd owner