Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Roll cage  (Read 665 times)

Offline corax

• Forum Master
    • View Profile
Roll cage
« on: May 21, 2018, 09:24:06 pm »
This is why you don't skimp on cage work/safety equipment or figure you "can do it well enough yourself"
this was Sunday morning at the 2018 Olympus Rally, not the stage I was working though
note: we did NOT peel the roof or doors/panels off . . . that happened during the crash

There is always lessons people should take from others.

This weekend James Rimmer & I survived this horrific crash for many reasons.

- Excellent Cage/Car Build
- Wing Seats
- Seats that fit your body and are not too big or small for you
- Hans Device
- Stilo Helmets
- Seat Belts and correct fitting of them
- Seats positioned back in roll cage to take the impact in an accident
- Personal Fitness

Please when buying/leasing/building a car always have the highest safety standards in mind.

When buying seats please get wing seats. These can safe your life in an accident. And make sure they fit your size and body. I won’t rally without wing seats.

When doing your seat fitting always keep your seat as far back as possible in the cage where it’s strong and can protect you.

When doing you seat belt fitting make sure you have the belts exactly where they need to be and keep you firm and secure in your seat.

Buy high quality helmets like Stilo.

These things may cost more money but they can help to save your life.

It’s a dangerous sport I do as my job. But I know each time I get in a rally car all these points are ticked off or I don’t get in the car.  - R. Gelsomino

Still going through messages and trying to get back to everyone but wanted to give a quick update. Rhianon and I had a big off today at Olympus rally, hit a tree stump at about 70-80 MPH and rolled 5 times. The initial impact took us from 70 to about 20 mph, then we started rolling. We landed on our side but were able to get out of the roof and throw the Red Cross. I was taken to hospital and just released about an hour ago, no broken bones but I’ll have a long recovery for my back which took the brunt of the impact. Rhianon was incredibly calm under pressure and walked away unscathed luckily. I’m up and have walked some steps but still very shaken and very stiff, lots of rest and physical therapy in the near future. A huge thanks goes out firstly to Rocket Rally Racing for building a car with a cage that worked flawlessly. I can honestly say it saved my life today. Secondly to the first responders on scene who did everything perfectly to get me stabilized and to the nearest hospital. And thirdly to the organizers and everyone else on the road behind us that stopped to help in any way they could. Thanks to everyone for the well wishes and thoughts sent our way, they are much appreciated. Incredibly lucky to have “walked” away from this one. Quite the reality check of how dangerous motorsport can be. Hope to be back behind the wheel soon. - J Rimmer

« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 12:04:39 am by corax »
'85 RA64 Celica GT notchback

Offline twotone_ra64

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Master
  • BACC Founder, Mechanical Design Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: Roll cage
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 11:05:26 pm »
That is gnarly. Definitely shows the importance of making sure your safety equipment is up to spec.
Celica the '84 Two-tone RA64 - Phase 2 In Progress! (159k); 1UZ-FE V8 Swap, W58 5-speed swap, Koni x Swift x T3 suspension, 6G Celica seat belts, TRD 2-way LSD, Konig Rewind 15x7" +0, zenki taillights, Cobra Imola Pro-fit seat, T3 seat rails
Mia the '91 Miata - Revived Twice! (264k); BP-5A 1.8L swap, an NB in NA clothes
Lilith the '94 Legend GS - The New Smooth Daily™ :shades: (144k)

Offline danf

• Senior Master
    • View Profile
Re: Roll cage
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 12:05:17 am »
Yikes.
SELECT celica FROM toyota WHERE year<=1985;

1985 GT-S
-Rebuilt engine: bored .020 over, oversize valves, new cam
-Thorley header w/heated O2 sensor at collector & all new exhaust
-Impact6 strut bar
-3.9LSD rearend, which is now slipping