Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: not actual mileage  (Read 683 times)

Offline agarcia040

• View Profile
not actual mileage
« on: Sep 19, 2018, 02:16:25 am »
Hello all, I'm new to this site, but have a question for all of you out there
Im interested in a 1984 Celica convertible someone is selling
the current mileage on the car is about 120K , and the car is in good condition and drives well, however I found out back in the early 90's the car had at one point a not acual mileage note on the title.  At no point the records show any discrepancies or jumps in miles after this note. to be precise the reported miles have been costient after thi note.
given the care is in good shape and runs well, and its a reare car, should I be concerned with this not actaul mileage from 20 years ago?
would really like your thoughts on this and if you guyos would have any reservation on purchasing this car (priced at about $4.5K)

Offline Teranfirbt

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: not actual mileage
« Reply #1 on: Sep 19, 2018, 03:30:20 am »
Generally the regulatory system stops caring about tracking the mileage on cars once they get to a certain age. My MR2 and Tercel titles both say mileage exempt on them, whatever that means in Texas. I wouldn’t be too worried as long as the mileage recorded tracks with age of the car.
1983 Celica GT-S 2RZ swap: Deered 2014 :(
1986 Tercel 4WD 4AFE Swap: Going strong
1986 MR2: What a beast!
2014 Elantra GT: The reliable one

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~ Albert Einstein

Offline agarcia040

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 19, 2018, 07:18:50 pm »
Same here in NY State, but I'm woundering if a year or two down the line, if I were to sell the car, would this become an issue?
I would think this car is only attractive to a certain group (like us here in this forum) so if you are an enthusiastic of these type of cars, will this detail bother you? I guess the answer is no as long as the car is solid right?

Offline ozzie

• Senior Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 20, 2018, 02:13:00 am »
I wonder if someone rounded off the mileage when they went to register it and the clerk marked it as "not actual mileage".
'84 Celica GT - 261k mi

Offline agarcia040

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 20, 2018, 02:37:03 am »
sounds like what it may have happened bucause the miles were rounded off at the same time it was marked "not acual mileage"  however there is no way of verifying this now 20 years later

cognitive