Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First Intro of 2019?  (Read 283 times)

Offline RA61Kurt

• View Profile
First Intro of 2019?
« on: Jan 09, 2019, 10:18:51 am »
How's it going fellas?

My name is Kurt, and I'm an Aussie. I recently picked my first A60, a March '83 RA61 hatch, I believe it is. Unfortunately automatic, though.

Never been big on forums as I grew up as they were fading out, but it seems like this is the best place to talk about Celicas.

Back on point, car is the old 21R-C which I know most of the Celica crowd aren't real keen on.
Ultimately my goal is to keep it NA, and keep it 21R powered. Shooting myself in the foot early, I know. There's just something alluring about building a motor that everyone sleeps on or just doesn't like.

I think I'll be on here a fair bit over the coming years, I hope to interact with you blokes a fair bit more!
Full-time daily/part-time project: 1983 Toyota Celica 2.0 XT

Full-time project/part time menace: 1985 Toyota Supra 2.8i

What's a "forum board" again?

Offline twotone_ra64

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Master
  • BACC Founder, Mechanical Design Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: First Intro of 2019?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2019, 03:41:49 pm »
Welcome Kurt!~ Yes, while Facebook groups have certainly taken over discussions on cars, forums are still the best place IMO. Your liftback is super clean, I like it! Don't worry about it being automatic, that can always be changed. I swapped my car to 5 speed a little over a year ago. :) I also don't have too much familiarity with the 21R-C, but I'm sure it's somewhat similar to the rest of the R series motors. I'm curious to see what your build ends up becoming!
'84 Celica GT - Phase 2 In Progress! (159k); W58 5-speed swap, Koni x Swift x T3 suspension, 22R-E delete, TRD 2-way LSD, Konig Rewind 15x7 +0mm, zenki taillights, '98 Camry cassette player for maximum a e s t h e t i c

'91 Miata - Daily/Track (235k); the driver's perfect roadster; BP-5A 1.8L swap, NB Koni x Ground Control coilovers, GWR endlinks, FM sway bars, HD Deuce rollbar

Offline RA61Kurt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2019, 11:47:57 pm »
Cheers, twotone!

Yeah, it's somewhat similar, but has less bore than the 20/22R to bring displacment down. An economy motor for sure, and also used in Japanese Forklifts if my memory serves. Still quite a bit of similarity between the engines in the R family though.

I might open a build thread to add to over time, as I have some minor rust to attend to before I start mucking around with the mechanicals, as everything works great as is! Only thing that doesn't work on mine is the A/C, and to be honest that's to be expected on a car this old.

For the overall build, I'd probably consider it a light restomod. Fixing up what I can and livening it up a bit, aside bolt-on engine parts and a gearbox, I'd like to work with what I have. Will continue to update as I get things done!

Offline twotone_ra64

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Master
  • BACC Founder, Mechanical Design Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2019, 12:26:49 am »
Cheers, twotone!

Yeah, it's somewhat similar, but has less bore than the 20/22R to bring displacment down. An economy motor for sure, and also used in Japanese Forklifts if my memory serves. Still quite a bit of similarity between the engines in the R family though.

I might open a build thread to add to over time, as I have some minor rust to attend to before I start mucking around with the mechanicals, as everything works great as is! Only thing that doesn't work on mine is the A/C, and to be honest that's to be expected on a car this old.

For the overall build, I'd probably consider it a light restomod. Fixing up what I can and livening it up a bit, aside bolt-on engine parts and a gearbox, I'd like to work with what I have. Will continue to update as I get things done!

21R-C is a 2.0L then? Oh, nevermind, confirmed via the badges on your hatch. :heh: Might as well do a build thread to show your progress, that's what I do! Are you going to convert the A/C over to R134a or leave it as R12? Nothing wrong with a restomod, I like good clean builds!
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2019, 12:44:02 am by twotone_ra64 »
'84 Celica GT - Phase 2 In Progress! (159k); W58 5-speed swap, Koni x Swift x T3 suspension, 22R-E delete, TRD 2-way LSD, Konig Rewind 15x7 +0mm, zenki taillights, '98 Camry cassette player for maximum a e s t h e t i c

'91 Miata - Daily/Track (235k); the driver's perfect roadster; BP-5A 1.8L swap, NB Koni x Ground Control coilovers, GWR endlinks, FM sway bars, HD Deuce rollbar

Offline RA61Kurt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2019, 12:33:39 am »
you going to convert the A/C over to R134a or leave it as R12? Nothing wrong with a restomod, I like goo clean builds!

I'm not too sure, to be honest. I've spent the duration of my ownership so far figuring out the 21R-C and looking at parts diagrams to replace dodgy bits of exterior trim! :heh:

I'll trudge through the forum again but this time for AC info, and I'll get started on that build thread!

Offline lgherb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2019, 11:29:44 am »
Looks like it is in overall great shape!  Congrats.

Interesting info on the engine.  Was the bore smaller than the older 20-R?

Offline Lone.mincer_

• @lone.mincer_
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2019, 07:07:50 am »
Lovin those rims! Looking forward to the build! Ive personally never seen a 21r-c so info would be cool. Keep us updated!

Offline Sigma Projects

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • http://www.SigmaProjects.org
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2019, 08:11:05 am »
Welcome to the forums! I've always been jealous of the random stuff you have over there in Australia. Btw, there are parts that can be swapped bewteen your Celica and the same era Corona and Carina. I believe those also had the kind of rare 1S or 2S motor, so you can do 3S swaps easier by grabbing the bell housing.
1984 Celica GT Coupe    sold and missed it
1983 Celica GT Coupe    attacked... will miss it (RIP) JY
1982 Celica GT Liftback  sold and won't miss it, lol
1985 Celica GT Coupe    new love =P

2000 Honda Insight Daily Beater
1987 MR2 now mine because brother in law got shit from the father in law :heh:
My Instagram
My Website

cognitive