Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Kurt's RA61 All-In-One Restomod Thread!  (Read 1985 times)

Online twotone_ra64

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Master
  • BACC Founder, Mechanical Design Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: Kurt's RA61 All-In-One Restomod Thread!
« Reply #60 on: Apr 10, 2020, 02:23:12 am »
Looking forward to the pics!!
'84 Celica GT - Phase 2 In Progress! (159k); W58 5-speed swap, Koni x Swift x T3 suspension, 22R-E delete, TRD 2-way LSD, Konig Rewind 15x7 +0mm, zenki taillights, '98 Camry cassette player for maximum a e s t h e t i c

'91 Miata - Daily/Track (235k); the driver's perfect roadster; BP-5A 1.8L swap, NB Koni x Ground Control coilovers, GWR endlinks, FM sway bars, HD Deuce rollbar

Offline RA61Kurt

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Apr 28, 2020, 11:12:30 am »
Here we go, update time.

So I was chasing an interior leak that left my LH seatbelt wet -- a few suggestions in the fb groups led me to the seals in the exterior B-pillar trims that might be letting water in. Here's what I've found:

Various pics of the repair job: (turns out D23 Navara sheetmetal is the same thickness as A60's is)

It's worth noting for people that haven't had to cut into their celicas yet:
The outer skin for the rear quarters are a separate layer to the glass frame. After welding the skin back together, it was too awkward to weld the skin to the glass frame so that gap is filled with windscreen sealant - as far as I can tell, that was what was originally in there anyway.

No leaks! My pait job wasn't superb, and I wasn't able to get a stud on the repair patch for the exterior trim under the rear LH window, but it's good enough for now.
Full-time daily/part-time project: 1983 Toyota Celica 2.0 XT

Full-time project/part time menace: 1985 Toyota Supra 2.8i

What's a "forum board" again?

Offline sirdan

• Senior Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Apr 28, 2020, 12:14:11 pm »
Mine had the same leak but it was the quarter window seal. The seat belt wouldn't work if it rained and then got cold enough to freeze. Very frustrating! I think when I eventually go to change my 4 runner windshield I am going to have some rust surprises like this under the seal.
1988 4runner

Offline RA61Kurt

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: Apr 28, 2020, 03:00:52 pm »
I think when I eventually go to change my 4 runner windshield I am going to have some rust surprises like this under the seal.

I sure hope not, and I wish you the best of luck!

Offline RA61Kurt

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Apr 28, 2020, 03:12:00 pm »
Next post, new exhaust!

I ran the ceramic coated longtube header from Toyhead Auto http://toyheadauto.com/PerformancePages/Toyota_Performance_Exhaust_Headers_and_Products.html and here's how she mounted up. Works just fine with the RHD/power steering cars, no foulage at all, even works well with A40D cars.

I don't have any photos of the piping, but i'm running a 2.5in pipe, no cat, no resonator, no middle mufflers - at W.O.T, it sounds great (regular driving, not so much). Wouldn't recommend doing the same, 2.25in is more than enough for 21R-C/21R engines, in my opinion. Here it sits with the twin tip Magnaflow muffler - the same unit that Raptor Racing supplies after they modify it - but mine is straight from MF so my in-pipe is 3in. Muffler sits snug, but extra hangers and brackets were required on the muffler itself to make it work, it's a heavy SOB. Love the look though.

I'll post about the weber sidedrafts in the morning  :heh:

Offline Teranfirbt

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2020, 09:24:09 pm »
Oh man, I remember when I had 2.5" pipe and the shortest straight through magnaflow oval muffler they made... soooooo much drone!  :yuck:
1983 Celica GT-S 2RZ swap: Deered 2014 :(
1986 Tercel 4WD 4AFE Swap: Going strong
1986 MR2: What a beast!
2014 Elantra GT: The reliable one

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~ Albert Einstein

Offline RA61Kurt

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2020, 09:17:25 am »
Oh man, I remember when I had 2.5" pipe and the shortest straight through magnaflow oval muffler they made... soooooo much drone!  :yuck:

You got that right! Definitely wouldn't do it again, too big!  :heh:

cognitive