Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Greetings from the SF Bay Area  (Read 786 times)

Offline patwhac

• View Profile
Greetings from the SF Bay Area
« on: Jan 12, 2019, 05:54:02 pm »
Hello all!

I am hoping to purchase my first Celica (and first Toyota) this Sunday. Actually it will almost be my first non domestic car, though I had a 93 Honda Prelude about 3 years ago, so it doesn't quite count. I am mostly into older American cars (my other projects include a 1970 Buick Skylark, twin turbo Buick 350 build), but I am taking a departure from that with this. I love the look of the 3rd gen Celica and I've been really wanting something that is RWD but doesn't weigh 3800 lbs at the same time!

Anyways, the Celica I'm looking at is a 1982 GT-S with a 5 speed manual and 22R (carb). As I understand it, this is a GT with the S option added before the GTS was a trim level in it's own right. The way I *think* I can tell it's a GT-S is because it has fender flares but is also SRA. This is exactly what I want! I love the GT-S look but would prefer the SRA for easier lowering. I also would like to use this car to learn to drift and I'm under the impression that SRA would be easier when staring out. Go ahead and flame haha but I'll be honest. My local track has a drift night once a week and I'd like to bring this car there eventually.

Seller is asking $1400. He's had the car for almost 20 years and daily drives it. He's a 50 something year old mechanic type guy and for the amount of miles on this thing (200,000 or so) it's in decent shape.

Well enough info, hopefully I can post pictures of the actual car in a couple of days!

Happy New Year to all.

Offline twotone_ra64

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Master
  • BACC Founder, Mechanical Design Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: Greetings from the SF Bay Area
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2019, 08:33:16 pm »
Hello and welcome! Yes, the '82 GT Sport was the only GTS trim to have SRA. Can't wait to see some pictures of it. Not a bad price at all for the miles, hopefully he's taken care of it!

Once you end up getting that car, you will be officially inducted into my group, Bay Area Classic Celicas! I post updates for events here and on the Facebook page, so keep an eye out! :)
'84 Celica GT - Phase 2 In Progress! (159k); W58 5-speed swap, Koni x Swift x T3 suspension, 22R-E delete, TRD 2-way LSD, Konig Rewind 15x7 +0mm, zenki taillights, '98 Camry cassette player for maximum a e s t h e t i c

'91 Miata - Daily/Track (235k); the driver's perfect roadster; BP-5A 1.8L swap, NB Koni x Ground Control coilovers, GWR endlinks, FM sway bars, HD Deuce rollbar

Offline RA61Kurt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2019, 09:21:10 pm »
Greetings!

Welcome to the club!
Full-time daily/part-time project: 1983 Toyota Celica 2.0 XT

Full-time project/part time menace: 1985 Toyota Supra 2.8i

What's a "forum board" again?

Offline patwhac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2019, 03:12:12 am »
I bought the car! Unfortunately I wasn't able to snap any pictures yet because today was/is a bit insane: Drove to Sacramento in my Dad's car to buy the Celica and also an engine for another project. Payed the guy for the engine first, drove to get the Celica while he got the engine ready (unbolted from trans and run stand). Bought the Celica, did the paperwork, drove my original car to load the engine, drove back to the Celica and called AAA so that they could tow my Dad's car (which now has a 350 Buick in the hatch) and I drove the Celica back to Berkeley.

Whew! Now I am just waiting on the tow truck to show up so I can unload the engine and then my crazy car day is complete. I will definitely post pictures tomorrow, and also will be actually registering the car in my name so it is official!

What can I say about the car so far? Well it actually has 277,000 miles on it which was a bit of a shocker, but it runs great and made it all the way from Sac to Berkeley (1.5 hours @ 80mph) no problem. The steering does not seem to like bumps in the road, it's very twitchy. Maybe that's just because I'm not used to a sportier suspension? The guy did mention that I should replace the tie rods and shocks soon so that may also be it.

The 22r accelerates nicely, but I noticed that while driving at 85mph in 5th gear if I go to 3/4 throttle or WOT, the car seems to pulsate/surge a bit, almost feels like it's not getting enough fuel. At speeds below that and in other gears it's fine though.

My plans for the car are as follows:

-Replace the pass side fender flare (it was hit by someone in a parking lot a year ago). Already have a line on a used one that is the correct color.
-install good full sweep water temp, oil pressure, and voltage, and AFR gauges (already have AEM AFR setup)
-Replace or rebuild carb as needed, thinking Weber 32/36
-Try and fix original gauge cluster (gauges kinda work, but guy said I needed a new triad??)
-Replace the tires and wheels, I already have some nice wheels in 4x113 I want to use.
-Fabricate cat back exhaust (thinking 304 stainless 2.25" mandrel bends and a twin loop muffler, already have the twin loop)
-Coilovers/lowering (T3?)
-Kaaz or Cusco LSD (I've read the early AE86 units fit)
-Mebe Kaminari kit . . .
-Drift!

Offline RA61Kurt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2019, 03:36:31 am »
Good stuff there friend! Be sure to post up those pictures when you get 'em!
Full-time daily/part-time project: 1983 Toyota Celica 2.0 XT

Full-time project/part time menace: 1985 Toyota Supra 2.8i

What's a "forum board" again?

Offline patwhac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2019, 02:58:17 am »
Here she is! I know there are much nicer Celicas out there but every time I walk outside and see my car it looks so cool it makes me smile!  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2019, 03:58:03 am by patwhac »

Offline patwhac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2019, 04:03:55 am »
Couple more pics. I know the engine is super dirty. I haven't even had a chance to change the oil or anything yet!

Offline twotone_ra64

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2019, 04:06:30 am »
Beautiful car! Lucky that you got the louvers with it too! I like your plans for the car, do check out my suspension thread for a full SRA guide. It should serve for an excellent drift setup!
'84 Celica GT - Phase 2 In Progress! (159k); W58 5-speed swap, Koni x Swift x T3 suspension, 22R-E delete, TRD 2-way LSD, Konig Rewind 15x7 +0mm, zenki taillights, '98 Camry cassette player for maximum a e s t h e t i c

'91 Miata - Daily/Track (235k); the driver's perfect roadster; BP-5A 1.8L swap, NB Koni x Ground Control coilovers, GWR endlinks, FM sway bars, HD Deuce rollbar

Offline patwhac

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2019, 05:12:45 am »
Beautiful car! Lucky that you got the louvers with it too! I like your plans for the car, do check out my suspension thread for a full SRA guide. It should serve for an excellent drift setup!

Thank you! I just started reading your thread and it looks long and awesome, can't wait! This site has already provided me a ton of useful info.

A couple more things I want to do are a short shifter, hydro e brake, and maybe an MSD CDI unit. I will start a build thread once I get to modifying!

Offline twotone_ra64

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2019, 04:27:25 pm »
Great! I'm really happy you've found the data you need.

That all sounds great! I can't wait to see your progress in the build thread. Also, thanks for joining the FB group. :)

Offline Lone.mincer_

• @lone.mincer_
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2019, 09:51:11 pm »
Welcome! Ive been waiting for someone to buy this! Its been posted in sacramento for like over 2 months now ahha. Nice ride and keep us updated on the work!

Offline Sigma Projects

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • http://www.SigmaProjects.org
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2019, 08:14:16 am »
Welcome to the forums. Nice that you got the rear louvers.
1984 Celica GT Coupe    sold and missed it
1983 Celica GT Coupe    attacked... will miss it (RIP) JY
1982 Celica GT Liftback  sold and won't miss it, lol
1985 Celica GT Coupe    new love =P

2000 Honda Insight Daily Beater
1987 MR2 now mine because brother in law got shit from the father in law :heh:
My Instagram
My Website

Offline patwhac

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2019, 11:37:27 pm »
Welcome! Ive been waiting for someone to buy this! Its been posted in sacramento for like over 2 months now ahha. Nice ride and keep us updated on the work!

Haha yes it was on Craigslist for I think 4 or 5 months! I went to see if when it was first up and said I would buy it once I sold a different car. I'm surprised it was still around when that actually happened! I guess Celicas aren't as popular as the Nissan 240sx  :rolleyes:

It took me forever to make the guy come down from his $2k asking price. He was a crusty old mechanic type who apparently had the car for 20 or so years. It looks like he maintained it decently, but he struck me as being a super cheap ass who would never replace anything if he didn't have to (or maybe I'm just an expensive ass?) He also went on this rant about how he used clutch fluid instead of brake fluid in this car because it's organic, and brake fluid these days is not. Is that a thing or was he just cray cray?

Oh, also someone left this on my windshield over the weekend. I was parked on Geary and 22nd in San Francisco. Who's Jeff? Is he on here haha?

Offline patwhac

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2019, 11:40:42 pm »
Welcome to the forums. Nice that you got the rear louvers.

Speaking of the louvers, I fixed them this weekend. A bunch of the original rivets were missing or loose, so I replaced them all with black allen head bolts and nylocks. Looks pretty "original" on the outside. I also made a little brace for the broken bottom support piece so they don't sag in the middle anymore. It was annoying having them bounce all over the place while driving. Now I really wish my welder could do AC  :crying:

Were louvers like this a factory option or an aftermarket add on?

Offline twotone_ra64

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2019, 12:14:43 am »
Haha yes it was on Craigslist for I think 4 or 5 months! I went to see if when it was first up and said I would buy it once I sold a different car. I'm surprised it was still around when that actually happened! I guess Celicas aren't as popular as the Nissan 240sx  :rolleyes:

It took me forever to make the guy come down from his $2k asking price. He was a crusty old mechanic type who apparently had the car for 20 or so years. It looks like he maintained it decently, but he struck me as being a super cheap ass who would never replace anything if he didn't have to (or maybe I'm just an expensive ass?) He also went on this rant about how he used clutch fluid instead of brake fluid in this car because it's organic, and brake fluid these days is not. Is that a thing or was he just cray cray?

Oh, also someone left this on my windshield over the weekend. I was parked on Geary and 22nd in San Francisco. Who's Jeff? Is he on here haha?

Uhh... not quite sure about that clutch fluid thing. Might be something old school, I've always just used DOT 3 fluid for both brakes and clutch hydraulics without an issue.

Aha! That was Jeff, one of my Bay Area Classic Celicas members! He is blueberry muffins on this forum. Glad you found our group and joined! :D