Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Greetings from the SF Bay Area  (Read 789 times)

Offline Teranfirbt

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Greetings from the SF Bay Area
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2019, 03:17:21 pm »
That guy was definitely crazy (sounds like one of the eco-illuminati "the gubment is out for our horsepower" types...)
Clutches use DOT3 or above fluid (not DOT5 tho!), same as the brakes.
That's definitely a car with some good bones, a little TLC and it'll be running with the best ;)
1983 Celica GT-S 2RZ swap: Deered 2014 :(
1986 Tercel 4WD 4AFE Swap: Going strong
1986 MR2: What a beast!
2014 Elantra GT: The reliable one

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~ Albert Einstein

Offline Sigma Projects

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • http://www.SigmaProjects.org
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2019, 06:36:50 pm »
Were louvers like this a factory option or an aftermarket add on?

I think they were mostly an aftermarket option since I've never seen louvers in a sales brochure. The most common company I think was called SHADOW. I like what you did with the allen bolts. Are they corrosion resistant? Rusty allen heads are the worst.
1984 Celica GT Coupe    sold and missed it
1983 Celica GT Coupe    attacked... will miss it (RIP) JY
1982 Celica GT Liftback  sold and won't miss it, lol
1985 Celica GT Coupe    new love =P

2000 Honda Insight Daily Beater
1987 MR2 now mine because brother in law got shit from the father in law :heh:
My Instagram
My Website

Offline patwhac

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2019, 11:58:05 pm »
I think they were mostly an aftermarket option since I've never seen louvers in a sales brochure. The most common company I think was called SHADOW. I like what you did with the allen bolts. Are they corrosion resistant? Rusty allen heads are the worst.

Gotcha, thanks for the info! Er I would hope they are relatively corrosion resistant considering they have some sort of coating on them, but I may be changing them out to something more durable in the future as 2 of them stripped out on install just from getting them sinched with a wrench and t-handle. Luckily I was able to remove and replace the stripped ones.

Hopefully I can make it this Saturday and meet some of you!

I just bought a replacement passenger side white flare from a guy on CL, but it has the 1985 mud guard on it. I thought I'd be able to remove the mudguard and install, but doing so will leave 7 holes in the flare  :mad:

Offline twotone_ra64

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Master
  • BACC Founder, Mechanical Design Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2019, 12:17:10 am »
Gotcha, thanks for the info! Er I would hope they are relatively corrosion resistant considering they have some sort of coating on them, but I may be changing them out to something more durable in the future as 2 of them stripped out on install just from getting them sinched with a wrench and t-handle. Luckily I was able to remove and replace the stripped ones.

Hopefully I can make it this Saturday and meet some of you!

Yikes. Maybe some grade 8 hardware will do you some good. I totally didn't coat the T-nuts I used to secure my Supra wing to my hatch, and they already rusted.

Hope you can make it! The more Celicas, the more fun. :)
'84 Celica GT - Phase 2 In Progress! (159k); W58 5-speed swap, Koni x Swift x T3 suspension, 22R-E delete, TRD 2-way LSD, Konig Rewind 15x7 +0mm, zenki taillights, '98 Camry cassette player for maximum a e s t h e t i c

'91 Miata - Daily/Track (235k); the driver's perfect roadster; BP-5A 1.8L swap, NB Koni x Ground Control coilovers, GWR endlinks, FM sway bars, HD Deuce rollbar

Offline patwhac

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 28, 2019, 07:35:55 pm »
Damn I couldn't make it  :upset: Hope it was fun!

The reason? Working on the Celica haha! Thought I could have it all done and still make it, just did basic stuff on Saturday. It always takes longer than you think. Changed the oil, changed all the dryrotted belts, replaced the fender flare that was made of bondo, replaced the water temp sender and almost rounded it off in the process, had to remove the fuel pump for clearance (didn't fix the temp gauge problem though).

Hoping to come to the next meet, how often do you guys have them?

Offline twotone_ra64

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 28, 2019, 07:40:39 pm »
Aw, it's alright man! Completely understandable. I try to have some kind of event once a month, next month will be a cruise (mountain road drive) & mini-meet afterward. After that, RADwood and an LA trip! And perhaps another regular meet after that. Stay tuned. :)

I'm not super familiar with the carby 22R's, but maybe check the wire/connector going to the sending unit for continuity?
'84 Celica GT - Phase 2 In Progress! (159k); W58 5-speed swap, Koni x Swift x T3 suspension, 22R-E delete, TRD 2-way LSD, Konig Rewind 15x7 +0mm, zenki taillights, '98 Camry cassette player for maximum a e s t h e t i c

'91 Miata - Daily/Track (235k); the driver's perfect roadster; BP-5A 1.8L swap, NB Koni x Ground Control coilovers, GWR endlinks, FM sway bars, HD Deuce rollbar

Offline patwhac

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jan 28, 2019, 07:53:17 pm »
Aw, it's alright man! Completely understandable. I try to have some kind of event once a month, next month will be a cruise (mountain road drive) & mini-meet afterward. After that, RADwood and an LA trip! And perhaps another regular meet after that. Stay tuned. :)

I'm not super familiar with the carby 22R's, but maybe check the wire/connector going to the sending unit for continuity?

Ooo that sounds like a blast! I guess I better get my steering crap (reman rack with poly rack bushings, tierods, balljoints, poly front bushings) done by then haha. Right now the steering is almost to the point of being dangerous  :ohmy:

It's strange, the temp gauge seems accurate on startup when cold, but will pretty much be pegged in the red zone the whole time I'm driving. Since I've been driving like this for a few weeks, I'm assuming the gauge or sender or wiring is causing an issue and my car is not super overheating all the time. I feel like I would have wasted a head gasket and blown my radiator cap sky high by now if that were the case.

One of the very next things I want to do besides the steering refresh is install a proper set of gauges in the car. I'm working on my plan to creatively mount them.

Also I noticed that since changing my oil, the pressure has really dropped off at hot idle, reads a little above the low line now, but still goes up to halfwayish when driving. I put in Brad Penn 10w-30 but that PO must have been using something thicker. I know the general rule for Buick V8s is 10psi per 1000 rpm with no less than 10psi at hot idle, not sure what should be expected of a 278,000 mile 22R. Yet another reason I'm itching to get real gauges!

Offline twotone_ra64

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jan 28, 2019, 08:02:48 pm »
It will be a fun one! I choose pretty good driving routes, both fast and technical, so get that steering fixed!! :D

OHH, I had that exact same problem when I replaced my gauge sending unit with an aftermarket Beck/Arnley unit. Is yours also non-OEM? I spent the money to get an OEM one afterwards and that worked just fine.

Hmm, when my car is hot, the idle oil pressure level sits a little above the L, but does climb to 2/3 the way up the gauge while driving. Cold, it'll come halfway between L and H at idle. It could be the mileage and wear on the oil pump. Do you know if you have any leaks anywhere? I also use 10W-30 synthetic.

Offline patwhac

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jan 28, 2019, 08:20:05 pm »
Well actually I replaced the sending unit to try and fix the same issue, but since replacing it there has been no change in how my water gauge acts, which leads me to believe that it's not the sending unit's fault? The one I just put in was a parts store replacement (MasterPro?) I'll probably stop messing with it and just put the aftermarket gauges in!

There was something leaking slowly when I first bought the car, but I haven't checked again recently. The Brad Penn oil is kinda purple so I should be able to figure out if there is still a leak, and what it is that is leaking.

The oil drain plug had silicone spread all over it when I changed the oil, replaced it with a new magnetic drain plug and it dripped even when gorilla tight, so now I know why it was like that. I ended up taking the new drain plug back out as fast as I could and sticking the old plug back in to not waste oil. Cleaned the new one and applied a thin layer of black RTV to underside. Did the drain plug swap again and now it doesn't seem to leak. In fact, I will look under there is a few minutes to verify. The original plug was also beat to hell and nearly stripped!

All this to say that I'm hoping my original leak was the crappy drain plug rtv job by the PO. Still doesn't explain the lower pressure readings though. Neeeeeeed a real oil pressure gauge haha.

Offline patwhac

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jan 28, 2019, 09:43:41 pm »
Well, no drips detected from the oil drain plug. I will monitor over the next few days to see if anything else is leaking.

Offline patwhac

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jan 29, 2019, 02:16:36 am »
Last thing on this thread, old flare vs new flare:

I didn't realize that the whites might be different haha, but it still looks way better.

Oh and yes I know that those 175/55/15 tires in the first pic are way small for this car, I was just test fitting the rims I'm going to be running. They are 15x7 Centerline Auto-Drags, 0 offset. Hard to find in our bolt pattern, but luckily I had them left over from another car (93 Prelude) and I think they will really go with the 80s vibe! Probably would be perfect for a non flared Celica, might be a little small for mine but if I put something like 225/50/15 tires on they should look and fit ok. I'm hoping with proper fitting lug nuts I won't need to worry about them being lug centric, as it seems you're not supposed to used hub centric spacers on wheels with a push through center cap?

Offline twotone_ra64

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jan 29, 2019, 02:37:08 am »
Sounds good! DropTopZeek used a coupler on his upper rad hose with a coolant temp sensor fitting, with a digital temp gauge. A good alternative!

Interesting... did you make sure to put a new crush washer on the drain plug? I could see why it would leak without one.

Not sure about that on hubcentric spacers... I have the centering rings on my Konigs, but I don't have the center caps attached either. Just get proper lug nuts and you should be all good.

Offline patwhac

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jan 29, 2019, 03:57:45 am »
Sounds good! DropTopZeek used a coupler on his upper rad hose with a coolant temp sensor fitting, with a digital temp gauge. A good alternative!

Interesting... did you make sure to put a new crush washer on the drain plug? I could see why it would leak without one.

Not sure about that on hubcentric spacers... I have the centering rings on my Konigs, but I don't have the center caps attached either. Just get proper lug nuts and you should be all good.

Ah that's a relief, I really want to be able to run these Centerlines!

Er well the drain plug came with a metallic crush washer, but it didn't seem very crush-able. I will try an o-ring or fiber washer next oil change. It'll be easier when oil is not pouring all over my hand while I try and put it in  :biggrin:

Offline lgherb

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Feb 02, 2019, 05:46:31 pm »
Speaking of the louvers, I fixed them this weekend. A bunch of the original rivets were missing or loose, so I replaced them all with black allen head bolts and nylocks. Looks pretty "original" on the outside. I also made a little brace for the broken bottom support piece so they don't sag in the middle anymore. It was annoying having them bounce all over the place while driving. Now I really wish my welder could do AC  :crying:

Were louvers like this a factory option or an aftermarket add on?

The louvers were a factory installed option.  Mine are original to the car, but I am having a little trouble with the rear wiper clearance.  When I use the rear wiper, the wiper arm is getting impinged by the louvers.

I think I have decent clearance and that the issue is that an aftermarket arm is too high at the point where the replacement blade and wiper arm connect.

Here is my 85:

Offline danf

• Senior Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Feb 03, 2019, 03:15:24 pm »
My collector GTS has the factory installed louvers. For collector status here aftermarket stuff is not allowed unless it was installed by the dealer.

My wiper also doesn't clear the louvers so I just unplugged the rear wiper switch so I don't accidentally turn it on.
SELECT celica FROM toyota WHERE year<=1985;

1985 GT-S
-Rebuilt engine: bored .020 over, oversize valves, new cam
-Thorley header w/heated O2 sensor at collector & all new exhaust
-Impact6 strut bar
-3.9LSD rearend, which is now slipping
-Lots of bodywork and new paint!
-New cd player to cover up all those squeaks and rattles
-JK short-throw shifter

cognitive