Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Greetings from Virginia  (Read 677 times)

Offline Celica GT-R

• View Profile
Greetings from Virginia
« on: Mar 19, 2019, 03:20:43 am »
Hey Everyone!

Been looking for a GT-S for awhile now but ended picking up a super clean 83 Celica GT-R. Planning on some minor suspensions upgrades first and then we’ll see what happens  :biggrin:

Also there doesn’t seem to be much info out there on the GT-R so if anyone has one or knows much about them lmk!

1983 Celica GT-R
2002 Lexus Sportcross

Offline RedCar

• View Profile
Re: Greetings from Virginia
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2019, 04:54:58 am »
Hey, welcome to the forum!
Others will have to chime in with GTR tidbits... but I've noticed your car on here before!
https://www.celica-gts.com/forums/index.php?topic=30845.0

Internet makes the world smaller I guess  :)
83 GT Sport

Offline Sigma Projects

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • http://www.SigmaProjects.org
« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2019, 03:49:53 pm »
Oh wow, got the GT-R model, quite rare. Welcome to the forums. Moar pics :biggrin:

I don't know if they were standard, but on GT-R models they had a decal on the side that said CELICA TWIN CAM 16. So does yours have the TVIS and such?  Also I'm curious since you have the JDM model of the LASRE 4AGE does yours have the big air flow meter or does it use a MAP sensor instead?
1984 Celica GT Coupe    sold and missed it
1983 Celica GT Coupe    attacked... will miss it (RIP) JY
1982 Celica GT Liftback  sold and won't miss it, lol
1985 Celica GT Coupe    new love =P

2000 Honda Insight Daily Beater
1987 MR2 now mine because brother in law got shit from the father in law :heh:
My Instagram
My Website

Offline twotone_ra64

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Master
  • BACC Founder, Mechanical Design Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2019, 03:51:37 pm »
Wow, hello and welcome! You've got quite the rare gem of a Celica there. :) I'm jelly. And now I need to put my AA63 cluster in my car.

Well, I know they have the 4A-GE engine with a T50 transmission, IRS, a 9k rpm tach, a GT-R badge, and since yours is a facelifted late '83 model, the Japanese nicknamed them "Black Mask". PM me, I have wiring diagrams for your car. They're all in Japanese, but it's something.
'84 Celica GT - Phase 2 In Progress! (159k); W58 5-speed swap, Koni x Swift x T3 suspension, 22R-E delete, TRD 2-way LSD, Konig Rewind 15x7 +0mm, zenki taillights, '98 Camry cassette player for maximum a e s t h e t i c

'91 Miata - Daily/Track (235k); the driver's perfect roadster; BP-5A 1.8L swap, NB Koni x Ground Control coilovers, GWR endlinks, FM sway bars, HD Deuce rollbar

Offline Celica GT-R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2019, 06:43:22 pm »
Thanks all!

@RedCar - Yep, that's the one!

@Sigma Projects - Will try to get more pics soon. I don't think pics do this car justice on how clean it is. It may have been repainted, but the exterior color matches the bay and door jams without any overspray...so the decal may have just been removed (unfortunately  :( ) This one does have TVIS and uses a map sensor.

@twotone_ra64 - The 4AGE and IRS is definitely what attracted me to this car. I had been wanting a gt-s forever, but there are tons of great options for the 4AGE. Would love those wiring diagrams, might be able to read them with google translates app.

It's like they put a Celica body on Supra suspension with an 86 motor....plus the cool 15x6 oem wheels!
1983 Celica GT-R
2002 Lexus Sportcross

Offline twotone_ra64

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2019, 07:10:52 pm »
@twotone_ra64 - The 4AGE and IRS is definitely what attracted me to this car. I had been wanting a gt-s forever, but there are tons of great options for the 4AGE. Would love those wiring diagrams, might be able to read them with google translates app.

It's like they put a Celica body on Supra suspension with an 86 motor....plus the cool 15x6 oem wheels!

Exactly! Lots of parts support for the 4A-GE too. Do I smell an AE-101 BT swap in the future? :) The Google Translate app is exactly what I used for reading them myself! I now know the wires I need to re-pin for the cluster connectors.

Yeah, those wheels are cool! I think the US-delivered Supra L-type cars had them too.

I also have a vector image file of the CELICA TWIN CAM 16 decal as well, I just need to adjust the gray-to-black gradient in the fill for the letters. Then it should be reproduction ready!

What suspension upgrades did you have in mind? Bit of lowering?

'84 Celica GT - Phase 2 In Progress! (159k); W58 5-speed swap, Koni x Swift x T3 suspension, 22R-E delete, TRD 2-way LSD, Konig Rewind 15x7 +0mm, zenki taillights, '98 Camry cassette player for maximum a e s t h e t i c

'91 Miata - Daily/Track (235k); the driver's perfect roadster; BP-5A 1.8L swap, NB Koni x Ground Control coilovers, GWR endlinks, FM sway bars, HD Deuce rollbar

Offline Sigma Projects

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2019, 07:52:18 pm »
Paint does look great. Nice, MAP sensor FTW!

The IRS suspension I wouldn't say is from the "Supra" as it's the same just different options per model/year with the Supra model usually getting the nicer stuff earlier on.

My Instagram
My Website

Offline Celica GT-R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 20, 2019, 10:07:34 pm »

I also have a vector image file of the CELICA TWIN CAM 16 decal as well, I just need to adjust the gray-to-black gradient in the fill for the letters. Then it should be reproduction ready!

What suspension upgrades did you have in mind? Bit of lowering?

Did you make the file or did you find it somewhere? I'd be super interested in that too lol

I'm looking at the coilover conversion in the rear from T3 and still trying to figure out the front. I saw a bunch of people referencing BC racing, but I don't see a set for celica or supra on their site?
1983 Celica GT-R
2002 Lexus Sportcross

Offline twotone_ra64

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 20, 2019, 11:21:50 pm »
Did you make the file or did you find it somewhere? I'd be super interested in that too lol

I'm looking at the coilover conversion in the rear from T3 and still trying to figure out the front. I saw a bunch of people referencing BC racing, but I don't see a set for celica or supra on their site?

I scoured the interwebs and Minkara for a decent side view photo with the decal in view, and commissioned a guy to do the vector work. So now I have an Adobe Illustrator file of it! I'll look into getting correctly sized decals of it made.

If you want to build something custom for the fronts, do check out my suspension write-up link in my signature. Rears... you'd have to do some significant reinforcement to the rears to do a coilover conversion, as the metal which the shocks mount to are not load-bearing like for the springs. The BC Racing option handles all four corners. People get the weld-on kit for an MX73 Cressida, with Nissan 240SX S13 tophats. The rear setup maintains a divorced spring/shock setup, and the Cressida also uses IRS, and is therefore suitable for your chassis. They only ship with 10 kg/mm and 8 kg/mm springs for the front and rear, though. Other options include using 2002 Ford Focus shocks, with either cut Mustang springs or 350Z lowering springs.

If you search "AA63 suspension" on Buyee, you'll find a few options for rear springs with a height adjustment collar, listed for AA63 and MA61, as well as a few other vehicle fitments. I'm unsure of the quality or how well they work, but it's probably a better option that cutting Mustang springs. :heh:

Offline Celica GT-R

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 21, 2019, 03:05:29 pm »
I scoured the interwebs and Minkara for a decent side view photo with the decal in view, and commissioned a guy to do the vector work. So now I have an Adobe Illustrator file of it!

That's awesome! I'm no stranger to Illustrator so if you need to adjust anything or make something new I'd be happy to help!

People get the weld-on kit for an MX73 Cressida, with Nissan 240SX S13 tophats. The rear setup maintains a divorced spring/shock setup, and the Cressida also uses IRS, and is therefore suitable for your chassis. They only ship with 10 kg/mm and 8 kg/mm springs for the front and rear, though.

Is there any modification to this setup besides welding our spindles on? And S13 tophats line up??

The rear conversion sounds like it's easier to adjust but I have read a few places about load-bearing. If this BC setup is close to bolt up then I would probably go with that.
1983 Celica GT-R
2002 Lexus Sportcross

Offline twotone_ra64

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 21, 2019, 03:44:12 pm »
That's awesome! I'm no stranger to Illustrator so if you need to adjust anything or make something new I'd be happy to help!

Awesome! Well, I'm the stranger to Illustrator here, so your help would be awesome! PM me your email.

Is there any modification to this setup besides welding our spindles on? And S13 tophats line up??

The rear conversion sounds like it's easier to adjust but I have read a few places about load-bearing. If this BC setup is close to bolt up then I would probably go with that.

The Celica tophat bolt spacing is 107 mm, and the S13 tophat bolt spacing is 108 mm. I think you'll have to enlarge the holes ever so slightly, but it fits. Yep, that sheet metal will need reinforcement with a coilover conversion. blueberry muffins on this forum bought the BC setup for his '83 GT-S but is waiting on a few more parts before installing it all.

Offline Sigma Projects

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 21, 2019, 06:39:46 pm »
I'm not saying don't reinforce the rear mounting points for a rear coilover conversion, but has anyone had any issues? It's the same concern that is brought up over at CelicaSupra.com, but no one has shown to have any issues?

My Instagram
My Website

Offline twotone_ra64

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 21, 2019, 06:41:33 pm »
That's actually a good point, considering T3 sells a rear coilover conversion without that recommendation. Hmm...

Offline Sigma Projects

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 21, 2019, 07:20:00 pm »
I'd still follow your advice to brace the shock towers. I just wouldn't have it hold me back from doing it.

My Instagram
My Website

Offline Celica GT-R

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 22, 2019, 04:06:02 pm »
The Celica tophat bolt spacing is 107 mm, and the S13 tophat bolt spacing is 108 mm. I think you'll have to enlarge the holes ever so slightly, but it fits. Yep, that sheet metal will need reinforcement with a coilover conversion. blueberry muffins on this forum bought the BC setup for his '83 GT-S but is waiting on a few more parts before installing it all.

Good to know, looks like BC is having a tax season sale too...

1983 Celica GT-R
2002 Lexus Sportcross

cognitive