Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Confirming RA64 vs AE86 Strut Cartridge Compatibility  (Read 409 times)

Offline patwhac

• View Profile
Confirming RA64 vs AE86 Strut Cartridge Compatibility
« on: Apr 19, 2019, 08:09:27 am »
Up late researching sluhhhts struts :spiteful:

I've found a few old threads on here that claim that AE86 strut cartridges (inserts) will work for a Celica. So I dug around and found some KYB part dimensions for both cars. Note that this is NOT for a short stroke/lowered setup. Stock height/springs wanting a better damper than OE replacement types from KYB, Monroe, or Gabriel. I know lowering is supposed to be awesome but I want to see how the car will do at stock (or 37 year old sagging spring) height first :heh:

Do you guys think that (basically) a 1/4" difference in stoke and extended length would cause problems? Would valving be messed up?

One other thing that seems strange to me is the super long stroke dimensions seem wrong . .  wouldn't stroke just be the extended length minus the compressed length? Still working on finding the body length for both to confirm that they would really fit in the stock tubes without issues.

KYB Celica Cartridge:
Upper Mount Type: 14X1.50
Tube Diameter: 1.7"
Shaft Diameter: 0.9"
Extended Length: 23.66"
Compressed Length: 16.46" (wouldn't it actually be 7.2"?)
Stroke Length: 15.83"
Manufacturer's Part Number: 365005

KYB AE86 Cartridge:
Upper Mount Type: 14X1.50
Tube Diameter: 1.7"
Shaft Diameter: 0.9"
Extended Length: 23.90"
Compressed Length: 16.46"
Stroke Length: 15.63" (wouldn't it actually be 7.44"?)
Manufacturer's Part Number: 365076

Similarities/Differences:
Both have the same tube/shaft dimensions
Both have the same compressed length
AE86 Cartridge is 0.24" longer extended
AE86 Cartridge has 0.20" (or wouldn't it actually be 0.24"?) shorter stroke

If all the above is true, then theoretically one could use Koni part# 86-1991SPORT (for an AE86) and have a set of nice (off car) adjustable, rebuildable, not super pricey ($120 per side), dampers that will just "drop right in" to a stock strut casing and work with stock springs?

Offline Teranfirbt

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Confirming RA64 vs AE86 Strut Cartridge Compatibility
« Reply #1 on: Apr 19, 2019, 12:24:22 pm »
1/4" of additional stroke isn't going to hurt anything. As long as the bodies fit then AE86 inserts should be golden.
One thing to note, the RA6* front end is easily 200 lb heavier than an AE86 front end, so you'll want to make sure the dampers you are getting are strong enough. To be fair, you can get some pretty strong AE86 dampers, so I doubt it will be a real issue ;)
1983 Celica GT-S 2RZ swap: Deered 2014 :(
1986 Tercel 4WD 4AFE Swap: Going strong
1986 MR2: What a beast!
2014 Elantra GT: The reliable one

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~ Albert Einstein

Offline patwhac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 19, 2019, 04:33:53 pm »
Awesome sauce! I've heard good things about Konis so I think I'll give them a try. The other option would be the Tokico Blues part #HZ3014 but they seem less available. For some reason it's tough to find physical dimensions on any Koni part # . . .

Offline Teranfirbt

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 20, 2019, 02:03:07 am »
If you believe the Monroe specs, the AE86 strut body is 1/8" shorter than the Celica, which means that it's a couple of big washers in the strut housing away from dropping into your car :)
1983 Celica GT-S 2RZ swap: Deered 2014 :(
1986 Tercel 4WD 4AFE Swap: Going strong
1986 MR2: What a beast!
2014 Elantra GT: The reliable one

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~ Albert Einstein

Offline patwhac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 21, 2019, 06:01:34 am »
Awesome!! I would assume you just use a stack of fender washers that have the same OD as the ID of the strut tube? It's really helpful to confirm that these will work before I drop the $$$ on a set of Konis. I appreciate it!

Offline ozzie

• Senior Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 21, 2019, 04:59:58 pm »
I made washers for my MR2 struts. I went to the local hardware store and bought some that were too big. I then stuck a bolt in a drill and tightened on a couple washers. I used a bench grinder, but a belt sander would probably work better. You could use an angle grinder in a pinch.

Does anyone know the thread diameter/pitch of the ae86 gland nuts, or if it's the same as the celica? Because I can't remember.
'84 Celica GT - 261k mi

Offline rwdfreak

• Bronze Member
  • Forum Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 01, 2019, 09:39:35 pm »
I've got the 86-1991 on mine. Fits like a glove, had them for over 10 years without any issues, but if you are planning on running a race setup with stiff suspension and quite lowered you should either make sure to add the option ''on car'' adjustable (to stiffen up for track day and soften for the street). Otherwise you have to take the coil spring off to drive the shock perch all the when in to rotate the mechanism. I was quoted race inserts back then that are "on car" adjustable in bound and rebound that would fit the tube if you put a spacer between the strut and the gland nut. If I had to do it again I would chose this instead.

https://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthAmerica/Racing/Race_Inserts/

Hope this helps.
V8 RA65L: Race/street beast
90 2wd pick-up truck: Sold
GS300 2001: Gone and won't miss it.

cognitive