Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Rear hub question  (Read 266 times)

Offline Jimep

• View Profile
Rear hub question
« on: Jun 08, 2019, 06:55:15 pm »
What is the purpose of the rear control arm rubber inspection/fill plug and drain plugs. Are the control arms supposed to be dry or filled with oil/grease for the rear hub bearings. Searched the interweb for a while but only finding broken links. Thanks!

Offline danf

• Senior Master
    • View Profile
Re: Rear hub question
« Reply #1 on: Jun 08, 2019, 10:30:15 pm »
I'm nearly certain they're only for noise reduction (think whistling over the hole at freeway speeds.)
SELECT celica FROM toyota WHERE year<=1985;

1985 GT-S
-Rebuilt engine: bored .020 over, oversize valves, new cam
-Thorley header w/heated O2 sensor at collector & all new exhaust
-Impact6 strut bar
-3.9LSD rearend, which is now slipping
-Lots of bodywork and new paint!
-New cd player to cover up all those squeaks and rattles
-JK short-throw shifter

Offline Teranfirbt

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 09, 2019, 07:53:25 pm »
They're to drain the control arms if they ever fill with water (and prevent water from splashing in).
The rear wheel bearings are packed with grease and then there are seals that keep them contaminant free, but they are not open to the control arms in any way.
1983 Celica GT-S 2RZ swap: Deered 2014 :(
1986 Tercel 4WD 4AFE Swap: Going strong
1986 MR2: What a beast!
2014 Elantra GT: The reliable one

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~ Albert Einstein

Offline Jimep

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 10, 2019, 04:18:25 pm »
They're to drain the control arms if they ever fill with water (and prevent water from splashing in).
The rear wheel bearings are packed with grease and then there are seals that keep them contaminant free, but they are not open to the control arms in any way.

Sounds like the answer I was looking for. Thanks!!! Both mine looked dry inside so leaving it like it is. Found the noise I was chasing was caused by a newer rear brake pad silencer plate, glue didn't hold and shifted.