Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Noisy power steering pump  (Read 180 times)

Offline danf

• Senior Master
    • View Profile
Noisy power steering pump
« on: Jun 09, 2019, 04:57:00 pm »
So, is it bad when your power steering pump sounds like a 70s Ford power steering pump? Lots of whine and some squeaky coming from it.

I did check the fluid, it's not low... are these things rebuildable or is it a replacement? This is the original one (34 years old) as far as I know, I've never replaced it.
SELECT celica FROM toyota WHERE year<=1985;

1985 GT-S
-Rebuilt engine: bored .020 over, oversize valves, new cam
-Thorley header w/heated O2 sensor at collector & all new exhaust
-Impact6 strut bar
-3.9LSD rearend, which is now slipping
-Lots of bodywork and new paint!
-New cd player to cover up all those squeaks and rattles
-JK short-throw shifter

Offline Teranfirbt

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Noisy power steering pump
« Reply #1 on: Jun 09, 2019, 07:51:27 pm »
Definitely not normal. Is the fluid red or brown? The system is designed for Dexron 3 ATF, not power steering fluid, so that can make a difference. It could also be there is a screen somewhere that has something plugging up the inlet side of the pump, that'll make them make noise.
Rock Auto lists a seal kit as well as bearings, so they are definitely rebuildable. I imagine the steps are in the FSM.
1983 Celica GT-S 2RZ swap: Deered 2014 :(
1986 Tercel 4WD 4AFE Swap: Going strong
1986 MR2: What a beast!
2014 Elantra GT: The reliable one

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~ Albert Einstein

Offline danf

• Senior Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 09, 2019, 09:11:53 pm »
Definitely not normal. Is the fluid red or brown? The system is designed for Dexron 3 ATF, not power steering fluid, so that can make a difference. It could also be there is a screen somewhere that has something plugging up the inlet side of the pump, that'll make them make noise.
Rock Auto lists a seal kit as well as bearings, so they are definitely rebuildable. I imagine the steps are in the FSM.

The fluid is red. I wonder if it's finally worn out. Originally I thought it was bearings from one of the idler pulleys, but I'm very confident it's coming from the pump itself. That's one thing I don't have a spare of (power steering pump.)  :dry:
SELECT celica FROM toyota WHERE year<=1985;

1985 GT-S
-Rebuilt engine: bored .020 over, oversize valves, new cam
-Thorley header w/heated O2 sensor at collector & all new exhaust
-Impact6 strut bar
-3.9LSD rearend, which is now slipping
-Lots of bodywork and new paint!
-New cd player to cover up all those squeaks and rattles
-JK short-throw shifter

Online twotone_ra64

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Master
  • BACC Founder, Mechanical Design Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 10, 2019, 04:07:54 am »
The correct spec fluid is Dex II ATF
'84 Celica GT - Phase 2 In Progress! (159k); W58 5-speed swap, Koni x Swift x T3 suspension, 22R-E delete, TRD 2-way LSD, Konig Rewind 15x7 +0mm, zenki taillights, '98 Camry cassette player for maximum a e s t h e t i c

'91 Miata - Daily/Track (235k); the driver's perfect roadster; BP-5A 1.8L swap, NB Koni x Ground Control coilovers, GWR endlinks, FM sway bars, HD Deuce rollbar