Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from the Pacific NW  (Read 288 times)

Hello from the Pacific NW
« on: Sep 04, 2019, 11:34:33 pm »
Howdy! Hopefully my username shows up right. I'm Jeff, I'm 25 and from the Tacoma/Seattle area. Looking to find some other owners nearby, get better at spirited driving, and for any good roads in the PacNW area that you guys/gals/etc would recommend. Been screwing with amateur photography lately, and am usually farting around town on some strange 80s japanese motorcycle--Those are partly what got me into cars. If you care about those, I have an '87 Yamaha SRX-250 and an '85 Suzuki GSX-550ES.

This is the first good car I've owned, and I fucking love it to death. It's an '84, white on grey/blk, 5spd. Got it around mid July and haven't really had any major issues. Just had the dual cam chain done as soon as I saw the BS that was on it. Made it to 170k miles with what might've actually been the original cam chain, maybe I got lucky there?  Its almost completely stock from what I know of, aside from some mystery springs and a muffler (PO didnt know much at all about the car). I can't tell if its any lower than stock.

I have some 14x7 Hoshino Impul "d-01 silhouettes" that I'm gonna put on it when I get around to buying new tires and center hubs. Speaking of which, are there any good A/S performance tires that would work well for this size? Would 195s be too skinny? Can't find much and am trying to not go below a 205. The 215/60r14 BFgoodrich g/t radials currently on it seem pretty damn sketchy in the rain.

Anyway, I'm seriously looking forward to finding even more valuable info in these forums.
Thanks! 
~𝑭𝑬𝑽𝑬𝑹 𝑫𝑹𝑬𝑨𝑴~

Offline Teranfirbt

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from the Pacific NW
« Reply #1 on: Sep 05, 2019, 01:07:51 am »
Nice! Looks super clean, a good place to start a project :)
There are no good 14" tires that will fit on a GT-S and look right, which is unfortunate. There are a few higher performance options in 195/60/14, but that's mostly because they'll fit on a stock Miata rim and will look sad on an RA65. You're absolutely right that the BFG's are sketchy in the rain, and they aren't much better in the dry.
The best path for wheels on a GT-S is to go up to 16", XXR makes a few options that will fit, although my favorite are Panasport. At that point a 225/50/16 tire is what you want, and there are decent options there.
As for spirited driving, the best thing to do is get into running HPDE events at your local track. They're usually not excessively expensive if you run with a Porsche or BMW club and you will have an instructor with you in the passenger seat for the entire time you're on track. I gained more in the first 20 minute session of an HPDE than I had in years of messing around on back roads and go karts.
1983 Celica GT-S 2RZ swap: Deered 2014 :(
1986 Tercel 4WD 4AFE Swap: Going strong
1986 MR2: What a beast!
2014 Elantra GT: The reliable one

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~ Albert Einstein

Offline twotone_ra64

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Master
  • BACC Founder, Mechanical Design Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 05, 2019, 02:48:33 am »
Hello and welcome! Clean GT-S, I dig the pics you took, too.

You could probably make 15x8 or 15x9 work and look really good too. 16" is becoming more popular for tire choice though.
'84 Celica GT - Phase 2 In Progress! (159k); W58 5-speed swap, Koni x Swift x T3 suspension, 22R-E delete, TRD 2-way LSD, Konig Rewind 15x7 +0mm, zenki taillights, '98 Camry cassette player for maximum a e s t h e t i c

'91 Miata - Daily/Track (235k); the driver's perfect roadster; BP-5A 1.8L swap, NB Koni x Ground Control coilovers, GWR endlinks, FM sway bars, HD Deuce rollbar

Offline yella81celica

• Senior Master
  • Auburn,WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2019, 08:39:33 pm »
I'm in Auburn. Don't drive my Celica but still drive a Toyota and a Scion. Lots of good info on here!
Celica. Impossible is nothing.

'90 Ford festiva(parents car) - Rip, i killed it
 '89 peugeot 405 - killed engine SOLD
 '81 Celica- waiting to be worked on
 '80 Celica-RIP
 '76 Celica LB- DD

Ehh, your still in the family. You're just on the ugly cousins side, but it's cool. :lol:

Offline Teranfirbt

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2019, 09:44:31 pm »
Odang, didn't know that! I moved to the Redmond area a couple of months ago, when it warms up we'll need to find a cars and coffee to go to  :yes:
1983 Celica GT-S 2RZ swap: Deered 2014 :(
1986 Tercel 4WD 4AFE Swap: Going strong
1986 MR2: What a beast!
2014 Elantra GT: The reliable one

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~ Albert Einstein

Offline yella81celica

• Senior Master
  • Auburn,WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2019, 07:54:38 pm »
SAY WHAA!!! When did you do that?
Celica. Impossible is nothing.

'90 Ford festiva(parents car) - Rip, i killed it
 '89 peugeot 405 - killed engine SOLD
 '81 Celica- waiting to be worked on
 '80 Celica-RIP
 '76 Celica LB- DD

Ehh, your still in the family. You're just on the ugly cousins side, but it's cool. :lol:

Offline TotallyBroke

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2019, 08:19:25 am »
I'm near the Tacoma as well! just finished swapping the motor and trans out of my GT to my new GT-S. Would be cool to meet up with another Celica guy. Also my Celica has 235/60r14 Cooper Cobra GT's on the rear and they seem do be doing the trick well.
85 Celica GT Coupe - rusted out and parted out
84 Celica GT-S Hatch- My beautiful pride and joy
94 4x4 Toyota Pickup - A good backup