Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Back In Time  (Read 227 times)

Offline Grimbrand

• View Profile
Back In Time
« on: Feb 06, 2020, 08:54:03 pm »
A few days ago, I took a chance and bought an '85 Celica GTS Liftback out in a field, for $600.

After replacing the battery fusible link in it, this car started like it'd been driving yesterday.  Interior is dirty, but looks to be in very good shape, and will clean right up!  Body is another shocker.  With flat tires, I expected the underside to be pretty rotten.  Instead, aside from two big rust spots in front of the rear tires, the whole thing seems to be completely rust-free!  No leaks in the sunroof or hatchback either!

The only thing besides tires that I need before driving this thing around is to rebuild the rear end.  It was full of water somehow, and it's howling like a banshee.  If you know where to get gears for this thing, please let me know!

I can't wait to go back to the 80s with this awesome Toyota.  Looking forward to meeting some other passionate Celica owners too!

If you can't be a good example, you can still be a horrible lesson.

Offline Sigma Projects

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • http://www.SigmaProjects.org
Re: Back In Time
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2020, 11:26:48 pm »
Welcome back!

Since you got the 85 GTS you can use any F-code (7.5") gears. Not super common, but common enough if you keep an eye out.
1984 Celica GT Coupe    sold and missed it
1983 Celica GT Coupe    attacked... will miss it (RIP) JY
1982 Celica GT Liftback  sold and won't miss it, lol
1985 Celica GT Coupe    new love =P

2000 Honda Insight Daily Beater
1987 MR2 now mine because brother in law got shit from the father in law :heh:
My Instagram
My Website

Offline twotone_ra64

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Master
  • BACC Founder, Mechanical Design Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2020, 11:24:38 pm »
Awesome and lucky find! Welcome!

Give Spence a call @ Weir Performance and he'll get you going with a new R&P setup.

http://weirperformance.com/finaldrivegears.html
'84 Celica GT - Phase 2 In Progress! (159k); W58 5-speed swap, Koni x Swift x T3 suspension, 22R-E delete, TRD 2-way LSD, Konig Rewind 15x7 +0mm, zenki taillights, '98 Camry cassette player for maximum a e s t h e t i c

'91 Miata - Daily/Track (235k); the driver's perfect roadster; BP-5A 1.8L swap, NB Koni x Ground Control coilovers, GWR endlinks, FM sway bars, HD Deuce rollbar

Offline Grimbrand

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2020, 11:49:32 pm »
Thanks guys!  I'll see what happens on Monday.   I'm stoked!

Offline Sigma Projects

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2020, 03:29:58 am »
The link twotone_ra64 gave you, basically the ones he listed for Supra 79~86 are compatible with you since those are for F-code diffs. And the 85 GTS and the Celica Supras have the same diff/punkin, just different gearing usually.

My Instagram
My Website

Offline Grimbrand

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2020, 11:19:32 pm »
Just spoke with Spence.  He doesn't have any used (or new) gears that are close to what I've got.  Further, given that the thing was literally full of water, he says it's a goner.  Probably no amount of work will fix it, according to him.

Yay.

Anyone have a 7.5" rear pumpkin with gears in it, lying around?

Offline RedCar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2020, 11:40:05 pm »
Worst case, there are some on ebay.
Although it would be better to find one at a local junk yard.

If you need a whole new *housing*, then I think only 85 celicas or MK2 supras will have that (plus LSD).
It seems more common to find ones from the supra, but their gears can be pretty low... however you can swap in taller gears from an 80s or 90s 22re truck or 80s toyota van
There should be a code on the vin plate that says the gear ratio
https://www.celica-gts.com/resources/differential_codes.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-1985-TOYOTA-CELICA-MK2-SUPRA-CRESSIDA-MX73-4-3-LSD-DIFFERENTIAL/333126830154?hash=item4d8fe8084a:g:3iEAAOSw619clGsU
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-SUPRA-MK2-TOYOTA-REAR-SUBFRAME-INDEPENDENT-SUSPENSION-DIFFERENTIAL-DISC/193206512143?hash=item2cfc016a0f:g:uzYAAOSwzZFdy4qY

PS. Sounds like Cressidas also had those carriers
83 GT Sport

Offline Grimbrand

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2020, 04:35:27 am »
I saw those too, Redcar!  But the first one's already torn up inside and I was having a lot of trouble finding gears.  It was "for parts only", though with the pinion trashed, hard to guess what parts would be useful.   The second one was lying out of the car in the rain, and who knows what drive ratio it had anyway.  Plus, the guy wanted to get rid of it all, and was "local pickup only".   Bummer.

So both of those were a bust.

But the good news is - I found a guy with a bunch of Toyotas, and he happened to have a GTS with the right diff and gear ratio for me!  Looks like I'll have the problem solved in a week. =)

Thank you for your help in chasing this down, Redcar.   I found a story about the Cressidas too, actually, and spent a couple hours chasing those before I found this diff.  I sure appreciate your help, and your advice.

Offline RedCar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2020, 02:14:00 pm »
Glad you're doing the research. These cars will love you back, it's 100% worth the effort to fix em up!

FYI, Of the Celicas,I think only 85 GTS had an F Code (7.5" ring gear), all others of our type have a smaller T-code 6.7".
To use a T-code you'd have to swap the whole subframe, they work fine for the 22re, but probably not great if you ever engine swap.
83 GT Sport

Offline Sigma Projects

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2020, 08:35:01 pm »
If I'm not mistaken only the 5spd 85 GTS had the F-code diff.

My Instagram
My Website

cognitive