Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Nick's 302 Swap Update  (Read 938 times)

Offline nickster9781

• View Profile
Nick's 302 Swap Update
« on: Jun 30, 2021, 01:44:04 am »
Hi all! I have been very bad at keeping my original thread about my ongoing project. On top of that, I am doing so much more than just a motor swap, that I figured that starting a new thread might be beneficial.
        This is my 1984 GT-S that I am currently swapping a 1989 Ford 5.0 into my car. I’m definitely not the first to do this swap, and I honestly hope I’m not the last either. I wanted more power and at first this would’ve been more cost effective than a turbo kit for the 22R-E
   Now the original plan for my car was to take a stock, running foxbody and put it into my celica. We all know how things don’t go to plan. My dad found an article from hotrod magazine about turning up a stock 302. They got AFR heads and a 625 cfm carb and made decent power, https://www.hotrod.com/articles/ford-302-v8-engine-buildup/. The bug bit me and I decided to go for power.
        Now I recommend keeping the motor stock if you are going for cost efficiency. Doing the math out on just motor parts, bellhousing, and labor, the number is one that I don’t like but it was over time. And if I was to do the swap over again, I would’ve got a running parts car. I initially went to a mustang shop and was going to get the motor, ecu, and wiring harness from a running car that I saw… but they tried to scam me. So I ended up finding a long block for $350 and built that instead.
        A quick run down of what my goals are for the motor and the car in general. I am shooting for 325-350 whp. I’ve heard that the rear axles can’t handle more than 350hp. To do so I have a comp 264 cam, a 650 cfm carb, AFR heads, and full roller rocker assembly. I want to refresh my interior and do supporting mods such as suspension. I’m going to get techno toy coilovers are the way around the car, along with their adjustable front control arms. I want it to be a nice, powerful daily that is track ready.
   So as time went on, money dictated what got finished first. I recently shifted my attention from motor work to some body work. My sunroof never worked in my ownership, and it leaked as well. One of the previous owners decided instead of replacing the sunroof gasket, to self tap the roof shut and silicone sealed it shut. Patched up the body poorly with bondo and sprayed the roof poorly. Maybe the gasket wasn’t available at the time, and it certainly isn’t available now.
   I was able to find a new sunroof panel with the gasket intact at a junkyard. It was 4 hours away from where I lived but it was a steal compared to what people are asking on ebay. And so began the body work. I had to take care of rust on the sheet metal on the inside of my roof, sand the whole roof down along with the new to me sunroof assembly, and repaint it. The color was honestly one of the harder things to match. But it works beautifully and now seals. On the note of the color, I tried three different colors and had to restart and sand it back down to primer. Currently I have yet to spray the third color, but since I bought a quart of paint instead of a spray can, it cost me $180 for the paint, the hardener, and the reducer all said and done. So whatever the final result will be, I’m going to leave it, it’ll still look 100 times better than before.
   Next I got to weld the motor mounts. I Also need to swap my front subframe. With years of neglect, my eccentric bolt holes are warped due to bad bushings. So I got a new to me front subframe from ebay, cleaned it up, and weld some support plates to stiffen up the subframe, paint it, and throw it into the car. But I can’t put the new subframe in until I tach the mounts. The motor is resting in the bay on the mocked up mounts.
   After I get the finished motor and the the subframe wrapped up, I want to rebuild my rear diff. A year ago I swapped a 3.73 LSD and supra rear subframe into my car. Now I don’t know the mileage on the diff so I decided to buy Weir Performance Rebuild Kit. I’m throwing 3 times the power of the stock 22R-E into the chassis, the more refreshed all the parts are, the better.
   My motor is still at the machine shop, but with that said, I still need to buy more parts for the motor before I get it running. But damn I can’t wait to hear it roar to life.

Offline sirdan

• Senior Master
    • View Profile
Re: Nick's 302 Swap Update
« Reply #1 on: Jun 30, 2021, 04:46:26 am »
With afr heads your going to make loads of power. The stock heads are so restrictive.
1988 4runner

Offline nickster9781

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 30, 2021, 08:38:49 pm »
For sure, along with the weight savings. I weighed the stock and AFR heads and it's a 54lbs difference. The stock heads are 52lbs each. I'm trying to keep the weight balance of the car as close to stock as possible.

Offline nickster9781

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 07, 2021, 07:28:55 pm »
Here's some pics. Some of the photos I have are "Too Large" for the forum to upload  :dry: The block in the photos is a dummy block that I bought for mock up purposes. The heads are cracked and the cylinder walls are pitted. I also have a google spread sheet of my parts list if anyone is interested.

Offline nickster9781

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 07, 2021, 07:30:41 pm »
More pics

Offline nickster9781

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 07, 2021, 07:32:05 pm »
Even more

Offline nickster9781

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 07, 2021, 07:32:51 pm »
Last one for today.

Offline twotone_ra64

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Master
  • BACC Founder, Mechanical Design Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 07, 2021, 07:53:01 pm »
Lookin' good! Please PM me regarding third-party image hosting via Imgur so that you won't be file-sized limited or images-per-post limited. :)
Celica the '84 Two-tone RA64 - Phase 2 In Progress! (159k); 1UZ-FE V8 Swap, W58 5-speed swap, Koni x Swift x T3 suspension, 6G Celica seat belts, TRD 2-way LSD, Corolla tape deck
Mia the '91 Miata - Revived Twice! (263k); BP-5A 1.8L swap, an NB in NA clothes
Lilith the '94 Legend GS - The New Smooth Daily™ :shades: (150k)
Lude the '95 Prelude Si - The Dead Tweaker Queen (237k)

Offline nickster9781

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 27, 2021, 09:48:36 pm »
Hey all, supposedly I should be getting my short block back by the end of this week! So fingers crossed I can get my car driving by the end of August. Maybe I'll get to a car meet this year :) I more or less just want to drive the car once more.

Also found the listing for my car when I bought it. It was in a conversation I had with someone lol

Offline nickster9781

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 11, 2021, 02:00:19 pm »
Hey guys! Good news. I finally got my short block back. So now I need to find a timing cover. But hey, I will actually be able to drive the car before winter/salt comes. Once I get the timing cover is all hands on deck. In the mean time I'm still working on painting the roof of my car. It's been very humid the past month in New England.

Offline twotone_ra64

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 13, 2021, 09:02:39 pm »
Good progress, did you flock the center console?
Celica the '84 Two-tone RA64 - Phase 2 In Progress! (159k); 1UZ-FE V8 Swap, W58 5-speed swap, Koni x Swift x T3 suspension, 6G Celica seat belts, TRD 2-way LSD, Corolla tape deck

Offline nickster9781

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 13, 2021, 10:00:45 pm »
Yessir. I'm going to do the dash as well and I'm wrapping the headliner in black suede.

Offline twotone_ra64

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 14, 2021, 12:04:24 am »
Sweet, good stuff! For the headliner, make sure to use the lightest weight material you can find, and a good quality headliner adhesive, rather than a generic fabric adhesive. I recommend this stuff:

http://eliteautofabrics.com/alcantara-panel-9002-anthracite/ <-- 0.8mm non-foam backed is what you want to use

https://www.autozone.com/sealants-glues-adhesives-and-tape/adhesive/p/3m-headliner-fabric-carpet-adhesive-spray-18oz/110464_0_0 <-- 3M 38808

Offline nickster9781

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sep 08, 2021, 03:59:23 pm »
Hey guys, I got the motor mounts tached up. The passenger side needs to be adjusted ever so slightly, but that is a huge milestone out of the way. Along with painting the roof over the weekend, finally there was good enough weather in New England to do so. It's been really humid this summer. I'll have to take some pictures when I get home and add them to this thread.

Ans thanks for the tip twotone. I was planning on using the 3m glue, but I'll definitely add the foam as well

Offline nickster9781

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2021, 11:01:53 pm »
Hey guys! It has been awhile, and the progress is going well. I WAY under estimated the amount of work that still needed to be done to the car! So now the progress may have slowed down a little bit, but it’ll be worth it in the long run.
   So for starters, the roof has finally been painted! It’ll feel so nice to finally have the sunroof open in the summer and not leak when it rains. Granted the color is a bit off, but it still looks 10 times better than before. I ended up fixing all the dents on the roof and all the rust on the sheet metal in the roof.
https://imgur.com/e7zMKqy
https://imgur.com/dxYveHe
https://imgur.com/6bKO7gU
   So since the roof is done I got most of the interior all cleaned up and refinished. Now the seats aren’t reupholstered, but they have been dyed black. Honestly the results are a lot better than I was expecting it to be. The dash and center console have been flocked, I still need to make the gauge pod above, but once I do the last bit of the flocking will be done. I got a new head unit and new carpet and I am going to run all the wiring to hook up an amp and sub, but I won’t be installing one till later.
https://imgur.com/9IT3w4N
https://imgur.com/D2rEWhJ
   The long block is all assembled and ready to be brought back to the machine shop. They have an engine dyno and will be breaking in all the internals. Should be a turn key motor after that. But while I was installing the oil pump I bought, the casing cracked while torquing the pickup to the pump. 25ft-lbs!!!  :disgust: So I wouldn’t recommend a mellings oil pump due to that experience. Maybe it was just a bad pump, but you never know.
https://imgur.com/plmWFlG
https://imgur.com/OBNuUsX
https://imgur.com/pJMVo7S
https://imgur.com/ya6SoVU
   The mounts are all finished welded and are good! My dad and I lifted the car up with the crane with the mounts bolted to the chassis, so I hope they are good. And now I am at the tricky part, headers. I don’t know any off the shelf headers that will work in the RA6X chassis. I know sirdan modified the mustang headers, and 85vert made custom long tube headers. I remember reading something about F150 manifolds, so I bought a set of 1979 F150 manifolds at a swap meet for $10, but they don’t fit.
   Other than that I still have a good chunk of work left, but since I am no longer rushing to get the car done before winter hits New England, I should be able to get it done this season. The rear end refresh is going to be interesting, but it should be simple-ish. I have instructions on how to do it, and I bought tools to get it done, but I haven’t ever rebuilt a LSD or any differential in the first place.
   I’ll try to do a better job of documenting my progress!