Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Old member may purchase 2 1985 gts fast backs  (Read 525 times)

Offline 1933beer

• View Profile
Old member may purchase 2 1985 gts fast backs
« on: Aug 24, 2021, 10:24:04 pm »
I have a 85 convertible but have found 2 85 fast backs. 1 looks rust free, been in barn for 20 years. Its a manual.The other i have not seen. Does an auto trans have any value? I can get both for $1500. Is this a few deal? Both have engine issues. I can also get a 1983 notch back manual. What would it be worth?
Thanks

Offline twotone_ra64

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Master
  • BACC Founder, Mechanical Design Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: Old member may purchase 2 1985 gts fast backs
« Reply #1 on: Aug 25, 2021, 08:46:16 pm »
Auto transmissions aren't worth much, maybe only to the right person who wants to keep their auto's. Both sound like a good deal if you think you can fix them up!
Celica the '84 Two-tone RA64 - Phase 2 In Progress! (159k); 1UZ-FE V8 Swap, W58 5-speed swap, Koni x Swift x T3 suspension, 6G Celica seat belts, TRD 2-way LSD, Corolla tape deck
Mia the '91 Miata - Revived Twice! (263k); BP-5A 1.8L swap, an NB in NA clothes
Lilith the '94 Legend GS - The New Smooth Daily™ :shades: (150k)
Lude the '95 Prelude Si - The Dead Tweaker Queen (237k)

Offline 1933beer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 27, 2021, 03:38:01 pm »
I went and looked at the cars wednesday. I am going to get the to 85 cars. the second car has leather interior. I had never seen one with leather. even the supras had the cloth seats. the second car sits outside. I will decide what to do with it when I get it home sunday so I can inspect it closer but I want the engine out of it. if its not rusty underneath I may just sell it for someone to save. the one in the barn is rust free in the normal places I could get to. the head gasket was leaking that's why it was parked. it has blue cloth seats I was not sure if I was going to do the deal until he sweetened the deal by taking me to another barn and we pulled out the seats from another celica. (Grey) this set matches out convertible and is in very nice shape. some day when ours needs replaced I am set.
I plan to decide what to do with the car I want the engine out of but I will plan on starting the rebirth of the blue car next summer when I am off school.

the 1983 gts. this car also sits outside and has many parts pulled it is a manual and fuel injected with sun roof. This car had some rust  behind the  back wheels but could be used. he plans to put the car on FB I will post the link when he puts it up. I will try to take a few pics when I go get the two cars.

Offline ozzie

• Senior Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 29, 2021, 07:22:22 pm »
Where are you located? I'm kinda looking for a fastback roller with a good interior.
'84 Celica GT - 261k mi

Offline 1933beer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 30, 2021, 04:32:30 pm »
I am south of Council bluffs IA.

Offline ozzie

• Senior Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 31, 2021, 12:50:49 am »
1700 miles, that's rough. I just checked auto shippers, looks like $2000 to ship it. I'm gonna have to pass, as much as I hate to pull the drivetrain from a running and driving car, it just makes more sense to find something I can fly out to and drive home, and I'm probably not even going to be able to do that this year.
'84 Celica GT - 261k mi

Offline 1933beer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 31, 2021, 01:21:10 pm »
ya there should be one closer. the guy I got the cars from has a 84 gts coupe. he wants 800 for he also has a rear subframe. 

I am going to have to know what I have to remove from the car if i scrap the shell. like can people get glass anymore? I have a different set of rims on the barn car but want to use the original still on the other car. just dont know if the barn car set is worth anything. they both have a sun roof and I was amazed that they don't leak ( well at least i know the one that sat outside doesn't)  is there common parts I should take for that,  lots of questions.

Offline 1933beer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 19, 2021, 03:00:22 pm »
Update. I got the engine and tranny pulled sunday. Getting ready post the car for sale.  i did put the auto tranny 4sale locally. If i get no takers i will pull some more parts and scrap it before winter. The wife would be pretty pissed if i left it all winter for her to look at.

Offline 1933beer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2021, 11:44:54 pm »
Update. Second car sold. The guy that bought it went back out to the farmer i bought thIe cars from and got the  coupe.they plan to pull the engine and transmission, and all the parts i removed and put them on the hatch they bought frm me. I guess another one saved.

Here is a link to a pic.Barn find https://imgur.com/gallery/522My6u

I have gotten the engine on a  stand and removed the oil pan. It revealed that yes the new crank. I pulled a cap and it does have new bearings. My next step is to closely inspect the cylinders. I think i will try to do a compression check this will mean i have to bolt the tran back up so i can mount the starter. Depending on the numbers i will then remover the head.
« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2021, 01:40:47 am by 1933beer »

Offline 1933beer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 08, 2022, 09:28:17 pm »
Update. I have done some work. I put 2 new tires on and replaced the master brake cylinder, the rear brake calipers are replaced and i managed to undo the lower  brake hoses. I plan to replace all brake parts so i can safely move the car then i will work on fuel system. I thing a may start special thread and and pics of progress

Offline BillyM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 09, 2022, 02:40:13 pm »
I want to see how nicely that cleaned up - the first photo is full-on barnfind!

Cheers,
--billyM
'85 Supra, Blue/Silver 30k garage queen
'85 CelicaGTS, Silver/Gray 22R-E delete soon...
---------------------------------------------------------
Shift-Bushing Kits $40 Shipped!

Offline 1933beer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 11, 2022, 10:05:20 pm »
Ok having problem attaching. File may be to big.

Offline BillyM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 12, 2022, 01:20:53 am »
https://imgur.com/upload
*drag and drop photos onto the square in the middle
*once uploaded, hover over the "three dots" icon on each image
*click "Get share links" and then "Copy Link" under 'BBCode (Forums)'

Paste that link in the message box here and tada-images!

--billyM
'85 Supra, Blue/Silver 30k garage queen
'85 CelicaGTS, Silver/Gray 22R-E delete soon...
---------------------------------------------------------
Shift-Bushing Kits $40 Shipped!

Offline 1933beer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 12, 2022, 01:53:37 am »
I was trying to upload to site. This pick is of new tires on the back. We. Did. Was it off last fall and the side paint does not look bad but is a little dirty again.
New tires and rear brakes https://imgur.com/gallery/lmP3XhS

Offline ozzie

• Senior Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 13, 2022, 01:16:58 am »

I think they might have gotten rid of the BBCode links. Now you have to right click the image, select "Copy Image Location" or "Copy Image Address", paste it in a post, and then surround it with [ img ]https://your.img/url/here.jpeg[ /img ] minus the spaces. Just hit "Quote" on this comment to see how I did it.
'84 Celica GT - 261k mi