Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Help Identifying Celica  (Read 203 times)

Offline FinnishDog

• View Profile
Help Identifying Celica
« on: Feb 28, 2022, 01:55:11 am »
Hi all, been lurking and doing research on the forum but finally made an account since I just bought a 1985 GTS Convertible from a family friend. However, the car has got me a little confused. It has a 22RE, which makes sense to me since its an 85 model. But it also has rear disc brakes and a VIN lookup indicates that the car is FWD. From my understanding, FWD Celicas started with 4th gens, and that the 22RE was never used after 3rd gen models. Do I still have an RA65? Would like to get this cleared up before I start looking for parts (suspension, exhaust) that may end up being incompatible. Thanks!

Offline blockade-runner85

• View Profile
Re: Help Identifying Celica
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2022, 02:15:49 am »
i believe all convertibles were exclusively GTS models (i may be wrong but ive never seen a GT vertable) and GTS/RA65 models have the independent rear like the MA60 Supras, where GT/RA64 models have the solid rear axle like that of the ae86 corollas. Ive heard people swapping the rears from Supras into the IRS celicas and it working fine since supras had disc brake rears so maybe you had a gearhead at one point in the cars life swap the rear end out. which may also mean you have a limited slip which would be cool.
That vin lookup may be incorrect though as you very likely dont have a FWD celica with a 22re lol.
But. Dig around a bit to be sure. Im still fairly green in the thumb with this chassis myself so take my words with a grain of salt
85 RA64 LB 5MT (T3 suspension bits coming soon! :D )
97 4Runner 2wd Auto (showing signs of rodknock..)

Offline ozzie

• Senior Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2022, 02:39:22 am »
If it has a 22RE, it's definitely an '85 and rear wheel drive, and as blockade-runner85 said, convertibles are all RA65s. When you look at the engine, you see how it's lined up front to back? That's called a longitudinal mounting, and it's a good indicator that a car is rear or 4 wheel drive. A front wheel drive car usually has the engine sideways, aka "transverse". There are a few exceptions, Saab and Audi have both made cars with longitudinal front wheel drive layouts, and many AWD vehicles (like later model Celica GT4s) have a transverse engine layout. I'm not aware of any rear wheel drive vehicles with a front mounted transverse engine, but I wouldn't completely rule it out.
'84 Celica GT - 261k mi

Offline twotone_ra64

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Master
  • BACC Founder, Mechanical Design Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2022, 09:03:40 pm »
You definitely have an RA65, the VIN lookup provided incorrect data.
Celica the '84 Two-tone RA64 - Phase 2 In Progress! (159k); 1UZ-FE V8 Swap, W58 5-speed swap, Koni x Swift x T3 suspension, 6G Celica seat belts, TRD 2-way LSD, Corolla tape deck
Mia the '91 Miata - Revived Twice! (263k); BP-5A 1.8L swap, an NB in NA clothes
Lilith the '94 Legend GS - The New Smooth Daily™ :shades: (150k)
Lude the '95 Prelude Si - The Dead Tweaker Queen (237k)

cognitive