Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: QFrost ra65 updates  (Read 438 times)

Offline Qfrost

• View Profile
QFrost ra65 updates
« on: Apr 15, 2022, 07:14:42 pm »
The weather in ontario is finally shaping up and I've had s chance to look over my car and start wrenching on it a bit.

Problem 1
 I dug into a misfire I was having under acceleration that was feeling like a loss of spark or fuel pressure cutting out and quickly found a ground cable under the intake was just resting on its stud with no bolt holding it down because the previous owner didn't put the intake manifold back together properly. Easy fix  :biggrin:

Problem 2
With the ground fixed the car still idled pretty weird once warmed up, once in a blue moon it idles very low and bounces from 800rpm to around 1300rpm at idle. I haven't got it 100% sorted out but I'm very close and will update as i make progress. I started by replacing all the vacuum lines on the car one by one and inspecting for any other issues. Once that was done the car idled and ran ALOT better but still not perfect. Unfortunately this issue is a combination of things. With the vacuum lines all redone I moved onto adjusting the throttle cable as it had alot of slack from 37 years of use and got it dialed in pretty well by tightening the cable up and adjusting the idle screw on the throttle body itself. Again it made some improvement but it idles strangely some times. Time to adjust the TPS and bleed the cooling system

Problem 3
Belt squeal under heavy acceleration. I inspected all the belts and noticed the alternator belt was pretty loose, I gave it a quick adjustment and thr noise went away. Fast forward a few days and the dreaded noise is back, again the belt is loose. It seems the bracket that holds the alternator is either missing something or poorly designed from the get go. I haven't got enough time yet to really dig into it but the belt takes 2 minutes to re-adjust so it isn't the worst thing to do once every few weeks. While I was in there I decided to adjust all the belts and I'm pretty happy with how easy they are to adjust

Southern Ontario based
-1984 celica gts 5Spd
-2003 bmw 325i drift Missile

Offline Qfrost

• View Profile
Re: QFrost ra65 updates
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15, 2022, 07:16:29 pm »
While I was wrenching on the car today I took the opportunity to install the strut bar I got recently for a steal of a price. I have no idea who makes it as there's no markings but my best guess is it's a s13 brace (?) Either way it fits perfect
Southern Ontario based
-1984 celica gts 5Spd

Offline Qfrost

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 15, 2022, 07:21:16 pm »
I also swapped out the oem fog lights for hella comet 550's as one of mine was broken when I got it. They really compliment the car
Southern Ontario based
-1984 celica gts 5Spd

Offline blockade-runner85

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2022, 04:42:24 am »
strut brace appears to be a cusco strut bar, theyre great equipment, quality brand

and regarding your belt squeal, the belt tensioning system in my opinion is horrible as the tension is held by one bolt threaded into the aluminum alternator on the top which looses its tightness over time as these engines seem to buck more than im used to with other cars. i drilled the threads through and put a through bolt out the other side to really clamp that tensioning piece down to the bracket, and used some blue threadlock to snug it tight too, havent had issues since. your experience may vary as my alternator i had to get replaced as old owner jerryrigged another car brands alternator into it, to which the alternator unbolted from the bottom
85 RA64 LB 5MT (T3 suspension bits coming soon! :D )
97 4Runner 2wd Auto (showing signs of rodknock..)

Offline Qfrost

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2022, 03:47:35 pm »
strut brace appears to be a cusco strut bar, theyre great equipment, quality brand

and regarding your belt squeal, the belt tensioning system in my opinion is horrible as the tension is held by one bolt threaded into the aluminum alternator on the top which looses its tightness over time as these engines seem to buck more than im used to with other cars. i drilled the threads through and put a through bolt out the other side to really clamp that tensioning piece down to the bracket, and used some blue threadlock to snug it tight too, havent had issues since. your experience may vary as my alternator i had to get replaced as old owner jerryrigged another car brands alternator into it, to which the alternator unbolted from the bottom

I thought it looked like a cusco but there wasn't any markings on it. As for the alternator idea I think I'll give that a shot! The tensioner designs on this car really aren't the best but atleast they're easy to work on  :heh:
Southern Ontario based
-1984 celica gts 5Spd

Offline Qfrost

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2022, 02:03:23 am »
Finally got some time to install my trunk spoiler and man do I love it! This car is slowly coming together  :)
Southern Ontario based
-1984 celica gts 5Spd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2022, 02:41:01 am »
love that it matches the car, that looks stellar!!
next up, gotta paint that side window corner in the trim, mine needs it too lol.

Offline Qfrost

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2022, 03:26:20 pm »
love that it matches the car, that looks stellar!!
next up, gotta paint that side window corner in the trim, mine needs it too lol.

Yea I'm gonna re-paint those soon! Same with the headlights and grill as they're pretty faded
Southern Ontario based
-1984 celica gts 5Spd

Offline Qfrost

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2022, 03:30:21 pm »
I also plan on getting the car painted eventually, I'm gonna paint the whole trunk and tail light surrounding black like this
Southern Ontario based
-1984 celica gts 5Spd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2022, 05:10:49 am »
I also plan on getting the car painted eventually, I'm gonna paint the whole trunk and tail light surrounding black like this
i do believe the black rear hatch is a celi supra specific thing but still think it will look great. are you going to do the two tone paint for the headlights and grill, or just black?

Offline Qfrost

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2022, 12:48:35 am »
Yep it was only the supras that came with the black rear ends but it looks so good. I'm still trying to decide what I want to do for the headlights and grille, I love the oem look with the striped but mines faded really bad. Stuck between paint matching it to the rest of the car or replicating the oem stripes 
Southern Ontario based
-1984 celica gts 5Spd

Offline Qfrost

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2022, 02:09:44 pm »
Changes out the old thermostat yesterday, this cooling system is long over due for a overhaul
Southern Ontario based
-1984 celica gts 5Spd

Offline Qfrost

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 25, 2022, 02:09:06 am »
Life's been keeping me busy, but here's some of the stuff I've been up to.

Recently cleaned up the rockers and door sills and repainted them to stop the areas of flaky paint turning into rust
Southern Ontario based
-1984 celica gts 5Spd

Offline Qfrost

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 25, 2022, 02:13:57 am »
I also fitted a miata dual pass rad which I don't have any photos of at the moment and swapped out all the rad hoses, flushed the coolant and so on. Then i cleaned up my flaky window trim and repainted them. It doesn't match the matte black trim surrounding it perfectly but I'm happy with the outcome
Southern Ontario based
-1984 celica gts 5Spd

Offline patwhac

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Aug 25, 2022, 08:52:10 am »
Finally got some time to install my trunk spoiler and man do I love it! This car is slowly coming together  :)

Your car is looking great! Might I ask where one acquires such a rear spoiler?  :mellow:
1987 Toyota Corolla GTS Coupe (AE86) - Drift Car/Daily Driver:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkXSZUJG3A0

1970 Skylark - Buick 350 Twin Turbo Build:
http://v8buick.com/index.php?threads/patricks-twin-turbo-350-build-thread.344770/

*Rear Ended and Totaled*
1982 Celica GT-S - Daily/Occasional Track Car:
https://www.celica-gts.com/forums/index.php?topic=30921.0