Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 2023 "Tail of the Dragon" Meet in TN/NC (April 20-23rd)  (Read 794 times)

Offline BillyM

• View Profile
2023 "Tail of the Dragon" Meet in TN/NC (April 20-23rd)
« on: Apr 25, 2022, 03:27:38 pm »
This began as a CelicaSupra.com meet but as the number of running/driving MK2 CelicaSupra continues to decline I felt this to be a good point to extend to our Gen3 Celica brethren!  Time to start rallying the troops and getting plans in place for this time next year.  (Plenty of time to finish up those projects or modifications and meet us out for some of the most fun driving-roads in the eastern US or potentially the world...)

What is "Deals Gap" aka "The Dragon" aka "Tail of the Dragon" aka "Hwy129"?
"The Dragon" is located ~1hr south of Knoxville TN and ~2.5hrs north of Atlanta GA.
The road is a popular and internationally famous destination for driving enthusiasts.
The 11-mile stretch of the Dragon in Tennessee is said to have 318 curves. (I checked, it does...)

What's the plan for the weekend, where do we start, where do we stop, and when do we eat!
--Reference Map (open in a new tab/window)--
--Resort Map (open in a new tab/window)--

This year will be organized with our group tentatively being based 100% out of Fontana Village Resort (point "A" on the Reference Map)
Please see below for lodging and reservation group-rate details.

Following is a rough estimation of the overall weekend, with Saturday being the primary meet day:

Thursday April 20th
I arrive ~1pm, relax with the crew, wander the resort, volleyball, maybe a short hike?

Friday April 21st
11:00am: meet in front of the Wildwood Grill for tire-kicking
12noon: spirited cruise out via the Cherehola and back via the Tail of the Dragon /w lunch-stop

Saturday April 22nd
9:00-10am: car-wash/shine (fuel up if less than 1/2 tank)
10am-2pm: official Dragon cruise and photo-ops at the dam (A-B-D on the Reference Map)
2-4pm: official meet lunch at the Wildwood Grill
7-10pm: hang out at cabin 420 - maybe campfire and BYOM(arshmallows)

Sunday April 23rd
10am: official farewell breakfast at The Mountainview up at the lodge
11:30: check out and trip home

The meet will cover ~100 miles Friday (optional) and another ~55miles Saturday of some of the greatest driving roads to be experienced.  Cruising speed will be brisk but kept to a safe pace so no one feels the need to cross the double-yellow.  Additionally, there are 3 full-time photographers on the 11-mile stretch who sell digital copies online.

Cell-phone reception is spotty at best, so please bring a 2-way radio.

Where can I stay, because it's a heck of a drive?
We'll be staying at the Fontana Village Resort, amenities can bee seen at their website: (www.fontanavillage.com)

Reservation Date 4/20 4/21 4/22 4/23
Lodge Room (2Q or 1K) $96.00
2BR/1BA Laurel Cabin $119.00
2BR/1BA Hemlock/Hickory Cabin $136.00
2BR/2BA Azalea Cabin $189.00

OK - these are the rooms available and we can go ahead and reserve when ready - reference "CelicaSupra 2023" and don't forget to schedule early so you can get your pick of cabin locations.  If anyone would like to rent a cabin that isn't listed in the group-rate selection please let me know and I can reach out to the group-event facilitator.  (Feel free to cluster around cabin 420 if you want to have easy access to the general happenings and nearest walk to the grill.)

More info, general notes, and answers to questions.
With help from CJ and JohnB, I made the pilgrimage April 2011 and found it too nice to not share.
2012 provided a HUGE turnout of attendees, staying in Robbinsville and having a darn good time overall.
2013, greater than 20 cars make it out to our stay at Fontana Village for a long weekend, lets do it again!
2014, better than 18 cars who enjoyed a BEAUTIFUL weekend and wonderful time in the mountains.
2015, we hit 29 supras, and had a wonderful time with some great runs all while dodging the rain.
2016, we had 20 supras come out for some of the best weather we've ever experienced.
2017, we officially added the Cherehola skyway run to our itinerary and it was a great drive.
2018, we added lunch at the far-end of the Cherehola skyway run to our drive-plan itinerary.
2019, we pretty much fudged the itinerary and did whatever we felt like for the most part.
2020, pandemic shut everything down: wah-wah...
2021, a small subset made it out and enjoyed socially-distanced drives during COVID.
2022, returning to more normalcy post-pandemic, had a great turnout and amazing weather.

Please post any thoughts/questions or simply to say "I'm in and plan to arrive Thursday afternoon" here.
Looking forward to it, and hope to see many of you in April,

--billyM
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2022, 03:41:24 pm by BillyM »
'85 Supra, Blue/Silver 30k garage queen
'85 CelicaGTS, Silver/Gray 22R-E delete soon...
---------------------------------------------------------
Shift-Bushing Kits $40 Shipped!

Offline BillyM

• View Profile
Re: 2023 "Tail of the Dragon" Meet in TN/NC (April 20-23rd)
« Reply #1 on: Apr 25, 2022, 06:25:26 pm »
<placeholder>
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2022, 09:22:42 pm by BillyM »

Offline blockade-runner85

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 26, 2022, 04:44:08 am »
i think im going to set a personal goal to make my car roadworthy enough to travel all the way to this. being in california, i think my works cut out. but if theres any meet i wanna go, on any road. its a dragon cruise on the tail of the dragon. love this, time to get to work
85 RA64 LB 5MT (T3 suspension bits coming soon! :D )
97 4Runner 2wd Auto (showing signs of rodknock..)

Offline BillyM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 28, 2022, 01:47:40 am »
Yeah man - come on out for it.  (Far enough in the future for anyone to get those silly projects knocked out...)

Maybe share your route and timing and see if you can pick folks up from the midwest as well!

--billyM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 28, 2022, 04:51:53 am »
it is actually a doable trip as well as i have friends in SC and PA im working to visit in the next year, so i can probably plan that into the trip

Offline BillyM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2022, 07:12:21 pm »
Awesome - the more the merrier!

(I just realized that there's a shows/meet section I failed to put this in - if a mod's watching feel free to move it to that section where it belongs!)

--billyM

Offline CakeFullofLolis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 17, 2022, 11:34:17 pm »
I'm a couple of hours from the tail of the dragon, so i think i will do my best to come out! would love to see some celica owners out, would be my first time even seeing another RA/TA chassis in person lol.

Offline twotone_ra64

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Master
  • BACC Founder, Mechanical Design Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 18, 2022, 04:29:30 pm »
I'm a couple of hours from the tail of the dragon, so i think i will do my best to come out! would love to see some celica owners out, would be my first time even seeing another RA/TA chassis in person lol.

Car's looking really good dude!! :biggrin:
Celica the '84 Two-tone RA64 - Phase 2 In Progress! (159k); 1UZ-FE V8 Swap, W58 5-speed swap, Koni x Swift x T3 suspension, 6G Celica seat belts, TRD 2-way LSD, Corolla tape deck
Mia the '91 Miata - Revived Twice! (263k); BP-5A 1.8L swap, an NB in NA clothes
Lilith the '94 Legend GS - The New Smooth Daily™ :shades: (150k)
Lude the '95 Prelude Si - The Dead Tweaker Queen (237k)

Offline thespwilson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 15, 2022, 04:12:13 pm »
Seems like it could be fun! Let me see if it is the same weekend as the Florabama mullet toss or talladega....
@thespwilson

Offline BillyM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 23, 2022, 04:00:52 pm »

Well I'm planning on having mine there, so you'll be assured to see at least one...

Cheers,
--billyM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 04, 2022, 07:14:28 am »
Making moves to get this planned out. theres no way ill be going alone, so im trying to reach out to semi local folk with celicas to go with, i currently have one whos interested. currently refreshing the intake system, then saving all my money up for the big drive. personally i think my car can make the tour but ive gotta go over it with a fine comb now for safety sake. any confirmation from others in CA who will be in attendance?

Offline BillyM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2022, 06:38:36 pm »
For anyone looking forward to the Tail of the Dragon - April 2023 meet, I just received this from the group coordinator:   

I hope you had a good Christmas. TVA will be doing some repair work at the resort to a power line coming to the main lodge starting 01/09/2023. There may be times that the phones are out during this time. Your groups cutoff date is 02/01/2023 so I wanted to let you know about this so you can get the word out to folks to call in and book. They can reach reservations at 800-849-2258, and just give the group name.

You heard them, get those reservations in ASAP and remember the group name is "Celica/Supra 2023"
Cheers,
--billyM

cognitive