Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 1985 gts iowa barn find build.  (Read 472 times)

Offline 1933beer

• View Profile
1985 gts iowa barn find build.
« on: Jun 25, 2022, 09:13:26 pm »
Hello i thought i would share this project. This car sat for 20 years in a barn near Shelby iowa. The guy loved these cars and had 3 on the farm i bought 2. The car was picked up by him in Ames ISU a student had drove it from Gorgia for school and it blew a head gasket in 2001 or 2. This brings it home and puts it in yhe family barn. The other 2 sat out side :mad: any way lfe went on and he decided he was never going to get back to them. I picked the 2 85 hat hes up for $1500. then removed some parts and engine and trans from the one that sat out side. And then sold it to a guy for 700 for him to save. He actually went out to the farm and bought the coupe.

I got the car out and gave it a bath. You can see it has 2 new tires on the back on refurbed rims. The plan is to replace al brake parts. I have the master done and now will start on new hoses rotors and rebiuld the rest of the calipers. And try to get the tank out. I hope is doesnt have gas in it. It will be nasty. Here is a link to picks of before bath and how she cleaned up.

1985 celica gts the project starts but first it needs a bath. https://imgur.com/gallery/sMRbg3b

Offline twotone_ra64

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Master
  • BACC Founder, Mechanical Design Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: 1985 gts iowa barn find build.
« Reply #1 on: Jun 27, 2022, 05:59:59 pm »
Great find! Especially nice since you've got an un-rusted hatch. Keep us posted! :)
Celica the '84 Two-tone RA64 - Phase 2 In Progress! (159k); 1UZ-FE V8 Swap, W58 5-speed swap, Koni x Swift x T3 suspension, 6G Celica seat belts, TRD 2-way LSD, Corolla tape deck
Mia the '91 Miata - Revived Twice! (263k); BP-5A 1.8L swap, an NB in NA clothes
Lilith the '94 Legend GS - The New Smooth Daily™ :shades: (150k)
Lude the '95 Prelude Si - The Dead Tweaker Queen (237k)

Offline 1933beer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 27, 2022, 06:34:29 pm »
Brakes are almosr done. I had to order some parts the right side front caliper is super hard to find. The right rear the caliper braket had the bolt brake i tried to drill and tap it out it didnt go well so i found a set of rear calipers with brakets used for $130. Way too much for junk but i will keep as back ups.

Today i drained the fuel tank. 4 gallons of what used to be fuel. I will show a pic of the sending unit. The fuel pump rusted off. I think it is still in the tank. I could not get the tank out to clean it. The fuel door wont open. I pull on the latch in the floor by front seat and nothing. If anyone has atrick to opening the fuel door speak up or post a link of someone has done it. I also got the spark plugs out and the radioator. I also vacumed out tons of dirt and mouse crap.

Offline 1933beer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 27, 2022, 10:48:13 pm »
Update with pics, i cleaned things up in the e gine bay then removed the valve cover. 21 years were not kind to the enginge. I will use the other enginge. I called the place that can rebiuld the engine they cant get me in until Febuary 6. Ouch. My son has proposed another option. First link to pic.

Iowa barn find part 2 20 years can be hard on stuff
https://imgur.com/gallery/wwCRITa

My son sent me this link. Has anyone heard of them? I wonder how much more the prper exhaust would be. Me likes the idea of 150 hp. The cost would be about 4k. Waiting until febuary would cost less. But also less hp. The one in the link has a 1 year 1200 miles warrenty but there will also be shpping. This i most think about.  Much to do either way

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265696513370?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=265696513370&targetid=1645685073248&device=m&mktype=&googleloc=9024578&poi=9032608&campaignid=16730423415&mkgroupid=135815925780&rlsatarget=pla-1645685073248&abcId=9300841&merchantid=102013586&gbraid=0AAAAAD_QDh-fsrKys0VdIi5p3sK8gGIiD&gclid=CjwKCAjwquWVBhBrEiwAt1Kmwqf8CGq9qDO2Jmn6_mJGiBs-MAJrAdJ2NPbb9q7EbU3qPwMLVWajohoC-ZIQAvD_BwE

Offline 1933beer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 28, 2022, 02:27:25 am »
There is another engine option. S&J engines. I think they are in Washington. Has any body used them? They have an engine that produces 135hp and has a good warranty. Price is even nice. If anyone can give info for any of my options would help. I really like the idea of being able to h
ave the car running by fall. Then i could do paint and suspension next spring.

Offline blockade-runner85

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 28, 2022, 06:15:54 am »
i dont know of s&j engines personally, but when i have the dosh to spend, ill be going to Jim over at 22rePerformance up in Chico California, hes essentially a guru on those engines, and is actually assisting me through pointers, tips, ets, with my homebrew rebuild of a locals 22re in his celica.
85 RA64 LB 5MT (T3 suspension bits coming soon! :D )
97 4Runner 2wd Auto (showing signs of rodknock..)

Offline 1933beer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 28, 2022, 07:02:08 pm »
I will look them up. I am really liking the idea of getting an enginge that has been built and has a warrenty. It worked out well with my sons mk3.
I got the gas door open an old thread on the subject i found helped. The door does not have a spring to help pop the door open like the cab. I will have to fix that later. I tried to drop tje tank but was not able to break the fuel line connection or the 2 17mm bolts that hold it in front. I sprayed with pb blaster again and will let time be my freind.
Since i had to wait on the tank and parts i thought i would work on removing the enginge and transission. Perhaps this will help meake a decision on new engine. Getting the intake manifold off was more troublesom than i thought it would be . They could have done this more simple than they did. I  glad i have the cab as a guild when putting this all back together. More later.

Offline 1933beer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 30, 2022, 12:05:04 am »
Well today i triedbto turn the crank pully. It wont budge. I will pull the head and pan when i get it out and see how bad it is i am so glad i have another engine I have most of the stuff off the front of the engine. I was able to get the fuel line on the tank to break free. I have not had luck on the 2 bolts that hold the tank up. My rear caliper bra key got here this afternoon so i can finish up the rear brake on the passenger side.

Blockade runner i looked at 22re performance website and gave them a call. I wouldnt be able to get in until some time in October. They want $3500 and i  paying for shipping and shipping a core for them to use.

Offline blockade-runner85

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 30, 2022, 01:11:42 am »
yeah, jim is pretty seriously backed up still, so im not surprised on wait times. but iirc he uses all new heads, and fresh components through and through, so its more of the upper end for rebuilds i think in terms of price but also quality. id say call S&J and speak with them. an engine rebuild is a rebuild, so it will be better than it was before when you get it back.
85 RA64 LB 5MT (T3 suspension bits coming soon! :D )
97 4Runner 2wd Auto (showing signs of rodknock..)

Offline 1933beer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 30, 2022, 07:38:23 pm »
Pics for progress. I got the tank out. My earlier pic was just the sending unit. The new pic is how bad the pump was i am not sure i can save it. I wish i could buy a new one. Brake parts came in so i finished the rear brakes and one front brake. Waiting on another caliper. I will put new caliper on the cab and put the rebiult one from last year on this car. The one pic is of a gallon of old gas i light on fire it still burned well.

No rust here https://imgur.com/gallery/vpBDYQE

Toyota celica barn find part3 https://imgur.com/gallery/2kqV4eN

Offline 1933beer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 01, 2022, 11:28:40 pm »
The engine is out!  I got some help from my wife be auzse my son was at work. Motormount was broke and the clutch had been changed. I will try to get the head off in the morning. I may pull the pan first to see what the cylinders look like form that view first  i hope its not toast.
The place that said they had the passenger side caliper in stock cancelled my order. So i  eed to find one or put the one i  have in a rust eater to try and get it apart.

Offline 1933beer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 02, 2022, 07:14:14 pm »
Today i took the head and pan off to survey the damage. To me the bottom looks fine. When i took the head off i had to use a cheater bar to remove one head bolt it was between cylinder 1 and 2. From the pics you can see that cylinder 1 is where the head gasket went bad. I am soaking it with pb blaster. I wont be able to get the rest of the crap off until Tuesday.  Enjoyi g the holiday with family and freinds

Iow barn find 22re comes out time to rebuild https://imgur.com/gallery/rD7APPg

Offline 1933beer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 15, 2022, 05:26:10 pm »
Update. I sent the block off to get built. They will first ensure it is a viable candidate but it should be. They were not concerned about the rust in the first cylinder. It will be nice the keep the original motor in the car.
I am in need of a brake caliper for the front passenger side i cant find one out there that is remanded. I have found a piston but  cant get the oldone to come out have soaked withpbblaster for over a week.
I will need some gas tank parts and replace fuel line from hard line to fuel filter. Anyone know the bango connection size on the original?

Offline sirdan

• Senior Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 16, 2022, 12:55:59 am »
Sometimes blowing into the brake hose with compressed air can unstick them. The piston wants to become a projectile though so you have to be really carefully you don't get hurt.
1988 4runner

Offline 1933beer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 16, 2022, 02:16:03 pm »
Ya that is how i have always gotten them out but she wont budge. I think too much rust

cognitive