Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 1985 gts iowa barn find build.  (Read 471 times)

Offline 1933beer

• View Profile
Re: 1985 gts iowa barn find build.
« Reply #15 on: Jul 16, 2022, 10:14:31 pm »
Ok, so i wa yed to put the car back down undercover so i put the caliper i couldnt get un stuck back on the car so i could get some braking ability.while breeding the brakes the piston popped free. So there is a new way to free a stock piston put it in without brake pads and have a person pump the shit out of the brakes.i had found a new piston on line so she is all good to go. She rolled down hill about a 120 ft. Now on to gas.

Offline blockade-runner85

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jul 17, 2022, 05:25:15 am »
maybe use a c clamp and squeeze the piston in just a little further if it is able to? that way it could break loose the rust so it can move the other way too
85 RA64 LB 5MT (T3 suspension bits coming soon! :D )
97 4Runner 2wd Auto (showing signs of rodknock..)

Offline 1933beer

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jul 17, 2022, 07:10:17 pm »
I had tried that as well. I guess it was a compination of time pb blaster, air pushimg in with cLamp and last but not least the bleeding the brakes with it back on the car. The piston was so rusted but the caliper its self was not bad except for the top above the inner seal. I cleaned it up used the new piston from ebay and put it back totegether with new rubber.

Btw there are only 4 left in latvia. It is $11 for the piston andd $ to ship. I purchased another one as you cant get remanded calipers for the passengerside. I advise if people need one they pursche now while availble.

Offline 1933beer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Aug 04, 2022, 02:13:50 am »
Update: sin e no one has fuel parts i need i thought i would at least try to save what i could. Removed stuff from the tank and sucked out what i could with the shop vac. .ind you it has been sitting drying out for 12 days while i went on vaction. I sucked out 3 pounds of rust and what ever gas does when it dries out. I even tossed in a chain and. Roccked it around in there i then took it and some other engine parts to the car wash sprayed with degreaser and went to town on the tank, fuel pp hanger aand the degreased parts. A buchore shit came out. I went home and removed the fuel pump. And put it in the rust desolver i had and sucked out the tank again. I was amazed at what 24 hours did for the fuel pump hanger. I think i can use it. I put the sending unit in next and removed it today. I need to know if there is a rubber o ring on the little wheel part at the bottom. In any case i will have 2 gallons delivered in the morning and will start on the tank.  If all goes well i will have all the fuel system sorted by next week. Btw the engine place recieved my block on july 19th so i am waiting to see if it is truly usable. I head back to work next week so things will slow down until the engine comes back in October. My goal is to have fuel sorted or parts on order then work on engine parts replace pulleys and such. Also work on transmission it gets new seals and a shifter kit. I will ad some more pics thursday

Offline 1933beer

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Aug 05, 2022, 03:06:54 am »
Iowa barn find part 2 20 years can be hard on stuff https://imgur.com/gallery/wwCRITa
Iowa barn fine https://imgur.com/gallery/sjhmh9U

This is the sending unit before and after rust disolver. You can kinda see the stretched out rubber around the wheel looking thing any body got a pick of good one

Offline 1933beer

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Nov 09, 2022, 01:25:09 am »
Update. My engine is back and she looks pretty. I put up a pic as soon as i get it uploaded. I am working as i have time and energy in the evening to prep parts and make a list of parts to order. The plan is to try and have the engine AND TRANSMISSION READY TO DROP IN  March when i am off school. Mother nature will be a factor as it is still winter.

https://imgur.com/gallery/rD7APPg/comment/2280972521https://imgur.com/gallery/rD7APPg/comment/2280972521

Offline 1933beer

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Dec 14, 2022, 12:40:14 am »
And up date. I got the engine back about a month ago and have been prepping parts for assembly i ordered parts from rock auto and 22re performance. I have some other parts i still need to get then i plan to put all these gooies on and share a few picks. I have to hope i can warm the garage up enough to use the sealants for the oil pan and water pump.