Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Engine Weight 22re Vs 7mgte  (Read 7032 times)

Offline Battlewagon

• View Profile
Engine Weight 22re Vs 7mgte
« on: Mar 15, 2005, 12:30:11 am »
Just weighed the two engines.

22RE with flywheel and all manifolds 335lbs.
22RE flywheel 25lbs.

7MGTE with all manifolds, turbo, and flywheel 436lbs.
7M/5M flywheel 20lbs.
turbo with elbow 30lbs.

Only 70lbs difference without turbo. So why bother with a 22RTE? 70 more pounds for 235 HP stock/no mods. 350-400hp with minor mods. How much are you gonna spend to get that kind of power from the 22R?

So move battery to rear moves 50lbs and get stupid with the holesaw for another 50 or so. No more weight problem.

Offline Justin Martin

• View Profile
    • http://pitstop.totalnfs.net
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2005, 02:16:52 am »
What accessories were on both? Alternator, A/C, power steering, etc? Also, was the flywheel installed? Sorry to be a bit anal, i've been compiling a list of engine weights, and am curious exactly what the setup was on both engines.
« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2005, 02:46:23 am by Justin Martin »

Offline kelly p

• Forum Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2005, 03:08:55 am »
What kind of scale are you using? I only have a cheap bathroom scale...
me calling out to the wife "hey honey, get me the bathroom scale"
wife "what for?"
Me "I need to weigh this greasy ass engine in the garage"
wife :o  :angry:

:lol:  

S O L D ... R I P :([/font]
85 GTS coupe

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Battlewagon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2005, 03:24:06 am »
The weights where taken with all manifolds, flywheel, water pump, acc brackets, motor mount brackets. No starter, alternator, PS pump ect.  Weights where taken on a local grain scale to the pound. Notice the 7MGTE without the turbo is only 70lbs heavier. Sweet!! It will be very easy to lose/move some weight around to keep the factory balance and handling of the car. I do not want to hear any more crap about how the 7MGTE is so ungodly heavy campared to the 2xr series engines. Cannot wait to get the rest of the goodies to complete my swap.

Offline celica83_gts

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2005, 03:33:08 am »
7MGTE sounds great! I used an RTE because it was what I had and knew. If the RTE hadn't come up in the Bargain Finder, I may have gone this way myself.

The RTE may be slightly easier to install because a lot of the wiring exists in the car and the mounts are the same (modified though), but these are not major points in a swap.

A lot of options exist for rear drive Celicas, 1JZ, 2JZ, 3TGTE, and more. I like the idea of a big Lexus V8 with a 6 speed too! Check the importers, prices aren't all that outrageous. For about 3 grand Canadian I can get just about any of these engines locally.

'83 Celica GTS, 22RTE swap, Garrett GT28R, Supra rear suspension swap w/ 3.73 LSD, Megasquirt EFI
13.940 1/4 mile
SOLD

'90 2WD pickup,  Rat-rod stylin'

'86 Pontiac Grand Prix, 6.0 LS, TH400, Moser 9"
'01 Lexus IS300

Offline Justin Martin

• View Profile
    • http://pitstop.totalnfs.net
« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2005, 03:49:16 am »
The weights where taken with all manifolds, flywheel, water pump, acc brackets, motor mount brackets. No starter, alternator, PS pump ect.  Weights where taken on a local grain scale to the pound.
Thanks man. B)  

Offline Battlewagon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2005, 03:50:58 am »
I allready have my engine. Picked it up still running. Local shop sold it to me for price of the core. Customer wanted another motor put in his 91 Supra. All that was wrong with it was the classic blown headgasket. I also have the wiring harness, 5ME bellhousing/flywheel to adapt to the W58. I am going back to the bone yard in a couple of weeks to get the 5MGE oil pan and motormount brackets. That and a modded 7MGTE or a 5MGE oil pickup should be all I have left  to physically set the engine into the car. Plan is to build a Megasquirt and spark using the Ford EDIS to fire the factory coil packs.  

Offline ahhstockduu

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/88rx7
« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2005, 07:54:25 am »
i cant wait till my 7mgte is in my celica. but till then i can only dream

cognitive