Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 5m Tb Install......  (Read 19473 times)

Offline 85GTS

• Bronze Member
  • Grand Master
  • Wannabe Toyota collector- Oregon City, OR
    • View Profile
5m Tb Install......
« on: Jun 17, 2006, 04:30:43 am »
I have recently modified and installed a 5MGE throttle body from a 1986 Toyota Cressida. The 5M TB is 60mm in diameter, while the stock tb is only 55mm. This modification mostly provides increased throttle response, power comes from elsewhere [eg cam, porting, supra AFM]. This mod takes very little so long as you have the proper tools and are willing to put in a little work.

« Last Edit: Jun 18, 2006, 04:29:18 am by Teranfirbt »
85 Celica GT-S LB "Blue"

78 Celica ST coupe "Sleepra"

99 Camry LE V6

90 4Runner 3.slow BHG

95 Previa S/C (wifes)

The Second Amendment will always be under attack because it is the only veto held by the people.

Offline 85GTS

• Bronze Member
  • Grand Master
    • View Profile
5m Tb Install......
« Reply #1 on: Jun 17, 2006, 04:44:56 am »
STEP 1   FIND THE PART

You will need a throttle body from the 5M-GE engine. This engine was used in Toyota Supras and Cressidas in the mid to late 80s [supra 82-85, cressida at least 85-88]. Also you will need to find one that does NOT have a slider type linkage [trust me you will know it when u see it]. I dont know how to make that one work and as such will not be explaining how. There is also the issue of what kind you need based on whether you have an old [82-84 1/2] or new [84 1/2-85] celica. If you have the old celica you will need a tb with a square 3 wire tps. So far as I know only the 82 Supras have these. For the newer celica you just need one with a round 4 wire tps. The tps doesnt have anything to do with fitment but will allow the new tb to work with your fuel injection system. And in case you are wondering NO you cannot change tps's from square to round. They actuate in different ways. Anyways I have been told that all 'later' 5m tbs with the round tps have the goofy slider linkage. I was fortunate to find a tb with the round tps and 'old' linkage, maybe this is cause I got mine from a cressida. I think you mostly just have to get lucky because I have also seen the goofy slider linkage on an 82 supra which is supposed to have the 'old' linkage. Eh.
After you have the part you will need to prep it to install on the car.
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2008, 12:09:29 am by 85GTS »
85 Celica GT-S LB "Blue"

99 Camry LE V6

90 4Runner 3.slow BHG

95 Previa S/C (wifes)

The Second Amendment will always be under attack because it is the only veto held by the people.

Offline 85GTS

• Bronze Member
  • Grand Master
    • View Profile
5m Tb Install......
« Reply #2 on: Jun 17, 2006, 05:14:26 am »
STEP 2.1  PREP THE PART

Refer back to this picture as i explain below

The tb bolts right up to the 22re plenum but two little 'ears' will hang out. I have marked in blue[/color] the areas that need to be covered somehow. I used blue RTV silicone. The night before i installed it i just placed a dab about where the blue is in the picture and let it cure overnight. Take care not to block the hole on the left though. That is the idle port. If you block it YOUR CAR WILL NOT IDLE. You will also need to modify the linkage. I will wait to explain that until I can get pictures of what I had to do. The red markings in the pictures are not required things but I wanted a clean install so I will include them here. The two little nubs that have just an x thru them is where the coolant lines go. I cut them off because they are all rusty and I also took this opportunity to bypass this and not have hot coolant running through the tb. As for the part that is circled and x ed, I wound up cutting this off in the process of trying to make the linkage work in another way. Again, not required [i think] but did make for a cleaner install [see 1st pic in this topic]
« Last Edit: Dec 14, 2007, 05:44:36 pm by 85GTS »
85 Celica GT-S LB "Blue"

99 Camry LE V6

90 4Runner 3.slow BHG

95 Previa S/C (wifes)

Offline 85GTS

• Bronze Member
  • Grand Master
    • View Profile
5m Tb Install......
« Reply #3 on: Jun 17, 2006, 04:37:45 pm »
STEP 2 CONT, PREP THE PART

PIC 1

PIC 2

PIC 3

OK, this step will cover the main modification required to make this work on our cars. In pic 1 you see the linkage in the position that it will be in when you get the tb. The red dot is where the hole is that you will need to round out, and the arrow indicates the direction the linkage will need to be rotated to make it work. In pic 2 you will see the outer part of the linkage, removed from the tb. Circled in red is the hole where the throttle plate shaft goes thru the linkage. This is the hole that needs to be rounded out. I used a 3/8 inch drill bit. It literally took me longer to clamp the thing down than to drill the hole. Lower on the fender you will see an elliptical thing. This is roughly the shape that the hole is before modification [not to scale]. The last picture shows the completed product with the linkage rotated counterclockwise. You may have to try a couple of different positions to get smooth throttle action. Also in that pic is an outline of where the linkage originally sat, just to give you a rough idea of how far to move it.
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 2007, 11:55:23 pm by 85GTS »
85 Celica GT-S LB "Blue"

99 Camry LE V6

90 4Runner 3.slow BHG

95 Previa S/C (wifes)

Offline 85GTS

• Bronze Member
  • Grand Master
    • View Profile
5m Tb Install......
« Reply #4 on: Jun 18, 2006, 01:36:54 am »
FINAL STEP- INSTALL THE SUCKER

Now you are ready to install the tb. Get a new gasket, or use the old one if it is still good [your mileage may vary]. If you get a celica gasket [which i did] you will want to trim the hole out a little bit so as not to obstruct your new bigger tb. This really is the easy part. Four quick bolts, connect the vacuum hoses basically in the same pattern as before and youre almost done. As has been stated by others you will need to get a breather filter for the front pcv port on the valve cover. There is also one hose you will need to get a new one of. The intake side of the AAV on the celica tb points down and the one on the 5m tb points out in the same direction as the main air duct connecting the tb to the afm. I just went to autozone and got about a foot and a half or so of 1/2 inch heater hose to connect them. When you are done it should look something like this.

NOTE- Something I forgot to mention is that you will need a longer bolt or stud for the bottom left [while facing the tb] hole. Just make sure to grab the one off of the supra/cressida when you remove it. Thank you to Teranfirbt for pointing this out.

Thats all I have, so feel free to ask questions, make comments and point out glaring falsehoods you may have spotted that have escaped my notice. Thanks and have fun.
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 2007, 11:57:45 pm by 85GTS »
85 Celica GT-S LB "Blue"

99 Camry LE V6

90 4Runner 3.slow BHG

95 Previa S/C (wifes)

Offline celicaskater

• View Profile
5m Tb Install......
« Reply #5 on: Jun 18, 2006, 02:11:29 am »
Thank you so much for doing the write up, been bothered by this for over a year.  Thank you for responding to my post in the ebay section as well.

1985 celica gts
5 Speed
Modifications-
Complete performance engine rebuild
Custom Short Shifter
Supra AFM with K&N filter
5% tint
Kenwood/sirius deck
JL 10" sub
1100 watt amp
Infiniti front speakers
Custom Strut Bar
Sportmax 002 wheels 16X8
Thorley Header w/ 2.25 Exhaust to Magnaflow Muffler
Modifications to Come
Complete suspension rebuild
Oil pressure gauge and Air/Fuel Mixture Gauge In A-Pillar Pod
supra throttle body

Offline Teranfirbt

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Master
    • View Profile
5m Tb Install......
« Reply #6 on: Jun 18, 2006, 04:03:00 am »
*note*
You can use the bit that you modified on the slider linkage type.. I'll get pictures tomorrow.
1983 Celica GT-S 2RZ swap: Deered 2014 :(
1986 Tercel 4WD 4AFE Swap: Going strong
1986 MR2: What a beast!
2014 Elantra GT: The reliable one

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~ Albert Einstein

Offline SonyPete

• Senior Master
    • View Profile
5m Tb Install......
« Reply #7 on: Jun 18, 2006, 04:44:55 pm »
Did you port out the plenum to match the TB opening?? If not how close are the two openings?

1983 Celica GT with Built-for-Boost 22RE
Current Mods:
- Forged CP Pistons, Prepped Rods, ARP Head Studs & Rods Bolts
- Lightened & Knife Edged Crankshaft
- Compcams 127-4, 82' Supra TB and AFM
- DT Header and 2.25" Under Axle Exhaust
- 12" Electric Fan

Offline 85GTS

• Bronze Member
  • Grand Master
    • View Profile
5m Tb Install......
« Reply #8 on: Jun 19, 2006, 04:08:18 pm »
Did you port out the plenum to match the TB opening?? If not how close are the two openings?
No I didnt have the tools (or time) to do it. I will do that (and remove the egr hump) when I rebuild the engine this fall.
85 Celica GT-S LB "Blue"

99 Camry LE V6

90 4Runner 3.slow BHG

95 Previa S/C (wifes)

Offline 85GTS

• Bronze Member
  • Grand Master
    • View Profile
5m Tb Install......
« Reply #9 on: Jun 20, 2006, 02:48:11 pm »
*note*
You can use the bit that you modified on the slider linkage type.. I'll get pictures tomorrow.
are you going to post these pictures you have?
85 Celica GT-S LB "Blue"

99 Camry LE V6

90 4Runner 3.slow BHG

95 Previa S/C (wifes)

Offline Teranfirbt

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Master
    • View Profile
5m Tb Install......
« Reply #10 on: Jun 21, 2006, 12:07:50 am »
lol, I don't have any...
All it really amounts to is taking the part that slides off and putting the bit that has the ball stud on the main shaft.. Would probably take some modification to the plate with the ball stud, but that's all.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~ Albert Einstein

Offline SonyPete

• Senior Master
    • View Profile
5m Tb Install......
« Reply #11 on: Jun 21, 2006, 07:42:04 pm »
Hey guys what about the nut loosening and the metal slipping makeing hte TB plate shut?? You guys using loctite or something?

Also has anyont tried just swapping out metal plate onto the Supra TB instead of grinding out the hole. It looks to me like it would sit in the correct spot since it slips on at the same angle as the Celica TB. :huh:  
« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2006, 11:44:42 pm by SonyPete »

1983 Celica GT with Built-for-Boost 22RE
Current Mods:
- Forged CP Pistons, Prepped Rods, ARP Head Studs & Rods Bolts
- Lightened & Knife Edged Crankshaft
- Compcams 127-4, 82' Supra TB and AFM
- DT Header and 2.25" Under Axle Exhaust
- 12" Electric Fan

Offline Teranfirbt

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Master
    • View Profile
5m Tb Install......
« Reply #12 on: Jun 22, 2006, 01:11:39 am »
I tried using the Celica linkage, and from what I remember it was too wide...
I just used a lock nut, and the plate with the ball stud hasn't slipped yet.

Offline 85GTS

• Bronze Member
  • Grand Master
    • View Profile
5m Tb Install......
« Reply #13 on: Jun 23, 2006, 03:55:31 am »
Hey guys what about the nut loosening and the metal slipping makeing hte TB plate shut?? You guys using loctite or something?

Also has anyont tried just swapping out metal plate onto the Supra TB instead of grinding out the hole. It looks to me like it would sit in the correct spot since it slips on at the same angle as the Celica TB. :huh:
the celica linkage wont work, i tried it, I also tried to remove that piece but couldnt get it to separate without being worried about breaking something...

I just used a lock nut, and the plate with the ball stud hasn't slipped yet.
ditto, just make sure it is good and tight.

85 Celica GT-S LB "Blue"

99 Camry LE V6

90 4Runner 3.slow BHG

95 Previa S/C (wifes)

Offline Slate 85GTS

• View Profile
5m Tb Install......
« Reply #14 on: Jun 29, 2006, 06:13:58 am »
From what i can see on my car there is no PCV breather hose going into the throttle body at all, so what would you need the breather filter for? Maybe im just not clear on what you mean? In the pictures that were posted in this thread the breather filter replaces a hose that just goes into the plenum itself, not the throttle body?? Any clarification would be appreciated, thanks guys.

------------------------------------------------------------
'85 Toyota Celica GTS Liftback
------------------------------------------------------------
- EGR Blockoff
- Custom Short Shifter
- NGK Sparkplug Wires
- 2.25" Custom Exhaust (no cat)
- 60mm Throttle Body
- 82 Supra AFM
- Doug Thorley Header
- K&N Cone Filter Intake with 3" Hardpipe
- Autometer Sport Comp A/F Guage